Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Genesis Altitude stem size?
  • pascoa341
    Free Member

I’ve been riding a Genesis Altitude 19″ frame very happily for the last couple of years, but am finding it too be a little bit long. Obviously this is not dramatic or otherwise I would have changed it earlier, but I am now thinking of going wild and changing the stem with a short one (50 mm or 60 mm). However, I have read here that James_O from genesis recommended it be run with 70 to 90 mm stems. Is anyone running an 19″ Altitude with a shorter stem or have you done it and if so, how do/did you like it?

mboy
    Free Member

How tall are you?

I’m 5ft 10.5 (the half is important! 😉 ) and run a 17.5″ frame, with a 90mm stem. I tried a 70mm stem on it, but oddly enough I found it really slowed the steering down on mine for some reason! Contrary to what you would expect. Maybe it pushed my weight further back, and I ended up “steering” the bike rather than just leaning it into corners perhaps.

Anyway… What length have you got on there now? I’d suggest maybe try 10mm shorter first, without going too drastic. Lopping any more off is quite drastic, and would suggest you’re on too big a frame probably.

pascoa341
    Free Member

Thanks for that! I’m 6ft 1/2 (indeed the half is important!) and have 19″ frame with a 80mm stem. Should be a good size, but just wanting to try something new. You’re probably right that taking so much off would be a bit too much though!

mboy
    Free Member

This might sound silly, but before you try anything else, try moving the seat forward 10mm

The amount of bikes I’ve seen where people say it feels too long, and they’ve got the seat pushed all the way back, is quite amusing! If that doesn’t do it, then try 10mm shorter stem yeah. But honestly, mine handles best with a 90 for sure!

rainbow
    Free Member

I used to ride Genesis Altitude from Oct’09 till Jan’11 and use 70mm stem on it, rode really well as the top tube is quite long. 70mm stem will spot on. I now ride Giant Anthem and still use the 70mm stem set up on it.

pascoa341
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, will try with a 70mm stem first and check if I can put my saddle a bit further forward. Great bike though isn’t it!

mboy
    Free Member

Just been out on my new (to me) Ti version for the first time today, and still loving it. Just like the Steel version, only lighter!

Oddly enough, this thread of yours has got me wondering about trying an 80mm stem on mine, I tried the 70 and it was way too short for me, but never tried an 80. Thinking an 80mm with wider bars (which I have sat here already) might allow me to muscle it about a bit more.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Altitude stem size?’ is closed to new replies.