Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Genesis Altitude and Cotic Soul. Compare and contrast.
  • Dekerf853

I'm after a long travel steel hardtail, and got it down to these two, but can't decide.
    I'm 6'2", so after a large. I've ridden a large Altitude, and liked it, but can't find a large Soul demo bike.
    How do they compare for 'normal riding' i.e Cannock, Peaks and a summer trip to the Alps.

………Jim.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Last months WMTB said that the Altitude was a bike for big lads and that it was too stiff for regular riders to feel the 'steel zing' or something to that effect.

MrGreedy

If you haven't already found one, there's a large demo Soul at Dales bike centre. I liked it so much I bought one. I'm just over 6 foot and found it an excellent fit, short enough to get over the front on steep uphill, long enough to stretch out and cruise, and loads of standover too.

Sorry for the thread resuscitation BTW – found this while searching for something else.

james-o
    Free Member

"Last months WMTB said that the Altitude was a bike for big lads and that it was too stiff for regular riders to feel the 'steel zing' or something to that effect. "

it was interesting to read that, as the same mag tested the same frame and fork a year earlier and loved it's zingy / spring singletrack feel…

tyre pressures were probably different. or, maybe just different opinions
    quoted as facts.

Jamesy
    Free Member

that's what I couldn't understand from the review , odd. how stiff is the frame looking at the altitude 20 or Tue whyte 19 steel , needs to be able to tow a kiddy trailor too ?

Bludgeon
    Free Member

I'm 6ft3in (and shrinking….) and I demoed a large Soul at Glentress in February. It was the same bike as reviewed at Bike Magic.

To me, the ride seemed perfect. I'm quite a nervous rider but the Soul made me feel very safe and in control even at Glentress. Whizzed up the hills too…

My new Soul is due in May sometime.

Jamesy
    Free Member

I've read that the soul and altitude are similar dimensions is this correct ?

Frankers
    Free Member

Plenty of Cotic Souls around the Midlands…… where are you based??

Jamesy
    Free Member

can't afford the soul to be fair looking more at the altitude

karnali
    Free Member

had a mk1 soul in a small and liked it very comfy and quite a whippy feel to the frame if ridden quick is through twisty stuff. Currently have a 17.5 alititude and really like it. I prefer the slightly less ocmpact geometry of the altitiude aesthitcally and also for waterbootle use but i guess thats not an issue if you are getting a large. Altitude has fullr ack and crud mounts as well if thats any use. Both lovely frames you won't be dissapointed with either.

Jamesy
    Free Member

I'm 6ft 1 " 32" leg here not sure on what altitude size to get ?

Jamesy
    Free Member

I'm 6ft 1 " 32" leg here not sure on what altitude size to get ?

takisawa2

I had an older Soul for a while, riding moslty Cannock. The perfect bike for it. Also have a SS Inbred that rides a bit like the Soul. Soul just had "something" about it, cant explain exactly but it made me question why I had a FS. Very very competent bike. Lack of funds sadly dictated its sale but I'd have another.
    Keen to try a Sanderson Life also.
    Mate has a Soul & a Genesis, (but its the SS Genesis). Reckons the Genisis every bit as good as the Soul.

Jamesy
    Free Member

what size would I require ?

RDL-82
    Free Member

what size would i require ?

Well might not be totally rellevent as i havent checked the dimensions of the two bikes but i ride a 09 Genesis IO 19" and i'm 6'2" with a 34" inside leg have a 70mm stem and 350mm seatpost with about 20cm showing and find it perfect.

HTH

james-o
    Free Member

"I've read that the soul and altitude are similar dimensions is this correct ? "

not sure tbh – the soul's more compact from what i've seen, for a 19" i find it quite long at 6', the genesis is more kona proportion than super-compact. i know a guy of the same height as me who swears by the fit of his cotic, so it's a personal thing. angles prob aren't a lot different but i can't say how close they are – i don't know the cotic angles at an exact fork length to compare.

Frankers
    Free Member

Mate has a Soul & a Genesis, (but its the SS Genesis). Reckons the Genisis every bit as good as the Soul.

Wait till he's built the Soul back up then he'll say that is better, he was always quicker on the Soul!! 😉

Frankers
    Free Member

Jamesy – Member
    what size would I require ?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

I'm same size, you need a large.

Jamesy
    Free Member

17.5 is perfect just tried them for size , 19 ".was to big

Jamesy
    Free Member

the whyte 19 steel is still looking good tho !

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Altitude and Cotic Soul. Compare and contrast.’ is closed to new replies.