Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Genesis alpitude owners views
  • oxnop
    Free Member

Just wondering if any of you guys have any views on this bike, Ive just ordered one and can’t wait for it to be delivered.
    I have a pace rc405 and wanted a hardtail for winter and general xc/play duties.

Id be interested to know your findings.

oxnop
    Free Member

Does anybody own this bike?

james-o
    Free Member

benji at stw has on long-term and there’s a review on the site and in the mag, a few others do but it’s not been around that long. i love mine, last ride on it was Laggan black. i reckon it’d almost ride that loop backwards too, climbs techy stuff suprisingly more easily than my shorter travel bike. There’s a good, balanced write up on wideopenmag, an online mag by one of the sustrans guys. worth a look in general.

Chisel
    Free Member

Really impressed with mine got it built up the week before the Dyfi and took it expecting to have to go steady but she just rode so well. She rails singletrack and whoops off the top of anything that is even slightly lumpy. Running mine with a set of Pikes and a double and bash SLX chainset so she is a little on the portly side but will hopefully be strong enough to last as i tend to have a reputation for battering bikes and bits. After the Weekend of the Dyfi cant wait to get out to the Alps to give her a real beating!!

oxnop
    Free Member

Sounds good, it was a spur of the moment purchase and have only started to research it after buying.

James – What forks do you run on yours?

Chisel – Have you weighed yours? Mine is the same spec as Benji’s so think it should come in just under 29lbs.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Heres mine…
    Photobucket" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

I bought it to replace a Cove stiffee that was just too harsh for all round duties. Had it about a month now and its ace. Canes downhill, and not too bad uphill. At first it felt sluggish but was ok once i was used to it.

2 words of warning….
    It comes with a 27.2 seatpin and a shim. On mine the shim was too small (it was 27.2 to 29.8) it slipped all the time. Measured it up properley in our workshop (i’m in the trade) and its a 30 dead. Now run a thomson with no probs. Genesis didnt seem to have a reply to this when i pointed it out.
    Also the stem is very short, so you might want a longer one for allround riding. I run 80mm and its perfect for me.

oxnop
    Free Member

I have already thought about the stem length as im wanting it for general XC use as well a playing about, so i think a longer stem will be my first purchase (ill give it a few rides though to see what i think).

Thanks for the pointers Richie

Chisel
    Free Member

Oxnop build as follows weighed in at 29.5lb had it weighed after it was built as bought frame only. Was previously riding a Cotic Soul and am very impressed with the ride of the Alpitude by comparison.

Hope Hoops DT5.1
    2.1 Kenda Blue Groove F
    2.2 Spesh Enduro R
    Hope X2 Discs 180/160
    Thompson stem 90mm
    Chris king Headset
    RS Pikes 454 U turn
    Raceface carbon low rise bars
    Ergon grips
    Old LX Shfters
    XT front/ rear mechs
    SLX double bash cranks
    Gravity Dropper Post
    SDG saddle
    Bottle Cage Pump Computer

As for the shim I had one machined up at work 29.8-27.2 and haven’t had any issues at all so maybe the shims that they are using aren’t all so good.

:O)Enjoy

oxnop
    Free Member

Chisel, i was actually looking for a Cotic soul when i stumbled upon the alpitude.

Your build sounds good I too am going for the SLX double but with revs instead of the pikes. & i would also be considering the gravity dropper.

Would you say the genesis is a better allround ride then? or is it not as XC focussed?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

RichieBoy that’s really nice looking. Are those Revs @ 130mm?

Chisel
    Free Member

Oxnop I would say the Alpitude is a little more playful and sturdily built. I absolutely loved my Soul and would have another tomorrow but Cy was out of Smalls when I needed one. Having done the Dyfi on both bikes i would say the Soul was a better long distance trail bike as it was a little comfier and lighter and as such went up easier, where as the Alpitude definitely descended in a more controlled fashion. It was even commented by my friends that my cornering was a lot better on the the Alpitude. I would say that the bracing and slightly larger tubing doesn’t allow the head to flex or wander so making it more precise. My eldest has a Bfe and i would say the Alpitude is definitely more akin to that than a Soul. As such if i was going to do Trans Wales again this year or start racing Enduro’s again i would either buy a Soul or a Altitude. But for me i just wanted something to enjoy the trails and play on in the Alps and from what i have experienced so far the Alpitude is spot on. :O)

RichieBoy
    Free Member

They are at 140 in the picture. Its a completely stock bike apart from the stem and seatpost. Its great!

Rickos
    Free Member

Bought a frame only and built it up from my old bits. Not been able to use it yet though as I’m still waiting on a shim for the seatpost – I found out the hard way that their website is wrong. Big reason for buying was the low BB which is lower than most of the other frames of similar niche. Nice for railing those turns.

Here’s mine. I’ll be swapping the Minutes for my old Pikes when I can be bothered.

oxnop
    Free Member

Richie – what size is yours as I’m 5 11 and ordered the 18

RichieBoy
    Free Member

I’m just under 5ft 10 and its a 16.5. I pondered ages over which size and after measuring some Altitude models in our shop, and going on my old coves geometry, the 16.5 made more sense…. Its quite a long top tube. I wasnt sure until it turned up that i’d made the right choice, but its spot on. Its a nightmare being between sizes tho!!

Rickos
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 11 too (but longish legs for my height) and went for the 16.5 inch but I won’t be doing epic rides on it, mostly 2 to 3 hour blasts and sessioning in the woods. I had a large Chameleon and wish I’d bought a Medium for the same reason.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Rickos- what size shim are you going to be using on the seatpost? Been thinking of one..

Rickos
    Free Member

Not sure what you mean. The seatpost is a 27.2 but the seat-tube is a 30.0 so the shim will be 27.2 to 30.0. Is that what you meant?

Ben_Haworth

I think my “final verdict” on the Alpitude I’ve had for 6 months now will be in issue 50 of Singletrack.. Or maybe 51.. 🙂

james-o
    Free Member

mine’s got fixed 140 Revelation 426 with maxle.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve just popped my Alpitude’s cherry this evening and I’m well pleased. Its awesome and EXACTLY what I was after. At last I can now settle with this after failing with a Chameleon. The Chammy felt way too tall for my liking.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Glad you liek it Rickos, its great isnt it! I meant to find out what size seat post you had as i wasn’t sure you could get one to fit the bike. Now i know you can, i’m struggling to find an excuse not to reach for the credit card….

oxnop
    Free Member

Mine comes tomorrow. I can’t wait.

Rickos
    Free Member

Richie – uppie downie seatposts are brilliant. I got mine direct from Gravity Dropper and they do free postage and a free shim. Cost me £172 a few weeks ago ($250) but the customs and excise man did me for £15. Previous one got through with no charges though, so you may get lucky. They handily put the value as $45 though, so it’s not too bad.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just had my first ride on my alpitude last night and really loved it! looking forward to getting it out again soon!

oxnop
    Free Member

Picked the bike up this morn, Im suprised at how small the 18″ looks with its sloping TT! & it ‘feels’ lighter than the 29.5lbs claimed weight. The graphics look really good too.

I will defo be changing the standard bars (how big is that rise!)& stem (flimsy) & will be buying a 30mm seatpost as i dont like the idea of a shim.

Cant wait to get back home after work!

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Great stuff! Post us a pic when you get chance!

oxnop
    Free Member

Just finished having a mess about to see how she feels.

It was only built up for 5mins when I scrapped the bars & stem and replaced with a 90mm Race Face Deus stem and Race Face Deus wide riser bars. I also put on some white ODI ruffian grips & a ‘Chain slap’ protector!

I also weighed the bike and it weighed in at 28lbs, which im pretty pleased at.

It felt weird to begin with i think i have got so used to the rear suspension of my pace and titus, even hopping about felt weird.

Cant wait to throw it down a hill tho!

Ben_Haworth

90mm stem sounds a bit long for this type of bike, no?

oxnop
    Free Member

Well the proof will be in the pudding, I have a long body so after a 5 min ride I realised that the tt seemed a bit shortfor the kind of riding i will be doing (mostly). so I tried a stem from another bike and it felt really good. I’ll know for def after a ‘real’ ride tom.

On another note I have noticed a knocking on the fork when it’s a mid travel position, but the knocking is not apparent when at 110mm or 140mm. Is this normal on 409 revs?

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Mmmm knocking sounds a bit suspect.. mine certainly don’t. I have an 80mm stem on mine and its fine. I am quite short tho…

oxnop
    Free Member

Changed back to a 60mm stem & trying out some holzfeller DH bars & after multiple seatpost slips ive plumped for a 30mm thomson seatpost, feels good so far.

Mike
    Free Member

If anyones interested in a brand new 18.5 frame, please drop me a mail…Cheers, Mike

renton
    Free Member

How much mike??

renton
    Free Member

Mike ygm!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Genesis alpitude owners views’ is closed to new replies.