Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Genesis Alpitude or…
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

Looking to replace my 853 Inbred specifically want something
    1) With more chainring clearance
    2) That will handle a 130 fork better

Genesis alpitude currently top of my list for a do everything hardtail.
    Any opinions? I think it’s designed about a 140 fork but I think it should still be good with 130 Revelations and a fat front tyre?

Anything else similar I should consider?
    Prince Albert
    Carbon 456
    Not sure I want something quite as slack as a Blue Pig for an everything bike.

ahwiles
    Free Member

piglet?

Northwind

A Soul. Obviously 😉

RestlessNative
    Free Member

The soul looked a bit steeper when I was looking at angles…unless I got confused which is likely…actually I was looking at the BFe after admiring one at the weekend

Piglet a bit unknown since no one has one yet

Northwind

Soul and BFe have the same geometry… But remember the Soul specs on the website are for 100mm forks, and more importantly they’re sagged. The Alptitude claims 68/73 with a 140mm fork sagged 25% (so effectively 105mm) whereas the Soul is 69/72 with a 130mm fork sagged 40mm. So with both having hte same fork and sag, you’ll be very close.

IMO of course but my Scandal was a pig with 130mm forks in, felt so long and bargelike. I put up with it for ages since I just assumed that’s what long travel hardtails are like, then I rode a Soul at a test ride… And it sounds daft maybe but I never used the Scandal at 130mm again after that, it just felt so horrible in comparison.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve sort of come to that conclusion, over 115 it deteriorates

I’ve noticed it much more since I moved to the borders where there are fast twisty tracks to play on

Good point on the soul geo figures, I hadn’t thought of that.

Northwind

I got all confused about the alptitude, nearly bought one based off a review that said 65.6 head angle but I think that was unsagged with a 36 in it or something :mrgreen:

Rickos
    Free Member

I have a white Alpitude for sale in a minute. Complete bike or frame.

JPcapel
    Free Member

Restlessnative.
    I ride a Aplitude, having acquired mine about Aug. 2010, I bought just the frame and use a fox float 32 (140mm) fork, plus XTR kit (1×10 gears).
    It weighs 27lbs exactly.

I think the bike rocks, I go through phases of only wanting to ride this and not my full suss (Turner 5spot dw link).
    It has relatively slack angles, a low BB and really short chain stays – makes it very flickable. I got the 16.5″ frame and am 5ft 11″ tall.
    Its quite short, but still fine for long Xc rides.
    It really comes alive when using it at chicksands on the 4x and dual track.
    I had a dialled bike PA MKII & MKIII before this.
    Between friends I ride with, I’ve tried the Dialled Alpine, on-one 456ti, Evil Sovereign, Cove’s hardtails.
    In my view, outside of the 456ti which is stunningly nice to ride, the Alpitude does it all, jump bike, 4x bike, Xc bike, street bike.
    I’ve yet to see another alpitude on any ride I’ve been on and the non naff angle appeals also. PA’s are everywhere on the Surrey Hills near me.
    Has odd seat post size – 30.0mm (can get Thomson in this size) and crap paint – chips really easy.
    I got the pewter grey colour and looks really nice.

heihei

Between friends I ride with, I’ve tried the Dialled Alpine, on-one 456ti, Evil Sovereign, Cove’s hardtails.
    In my view, outside of the 456ti which is stunningly nice to ride, the Alpitude does it all, jump bike, 4x bike, Xc bike, street bike.

What JP forgot to say is that the Evil Sov does it all better! 😉

JPcapel
    Free Member

hei hei – ha ha – very good.

james-o
    Free Member

new 2011 alpitude’s 66.5 static with a 140mm revelation. slacker than a cotic but not as slack as a ragley. 27.2mm post on the new one and a less flash but less chippable paint type.

grizzpup
    Free Member

I’m selling an 18″ dialled alpine at the moment, drop me an email if you’re interested.

Fully helitaped and frame saverered inside

cheers

Northwind

james-o – Member

“new 2011 alpitude’s 66.5 static with a 140mm revelation. slacker than a cotic”

Just rough numbers but I doubt that’s significantly different from a Soul… Cotic’s bike geek feature doesn’t go up high enough to give an equivalent for a 140mm unsagged fork but at 120mm it’s 67.6 static so at 140mm it’s going to be 66 and something close to a half. Suspect it’ll actually be about 66.4.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Alpitude or…’ is closed to new replies.