Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Genesis alpitude – anyone own one?
  • Mounty_73

Looking at the genesis range, does anyone own a alpitude?

What are your thoughts and views on the bike?

Rickos
    Free Member

I love it. Don't get all XC when sizing up though. I'm 5 foot 10 and ride the 16.5 inch version and it's fantastic. I've got '09 Revs on mine with no U-turn and was riding up some pretty steep stuff in the Malverns on Friday all fine. Going back down is fantastic fun too – lowish BB for railing those turns and a not too lazy head angle for nice line picking. Good fun boosting off rocks and roots too. It makes a real refreshing change from my Prophet. Awesome bike and highly recommended.

EDIT – in my journey to find the Alpitude I've had a new model Chameleon (BB too high), a Banshee/Mythic Scirocco (great fun but just a little too short) and an On-One (way too long, but then I bought an 18 inch).

Mounty_73

What about weight? Not a weight weenie, but just a ball park figure would be good as I cant find any info.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rickos
    Free Member

Dunno really – prolly around 5 pounds for the frame, maybe a tad under? It's not the best finished paint job or owt, but who cares when it's all muddy and scratched after a few rides anyway?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i hired one for the day at GT. wasn't great up a hill (was a bit of a pig, geometry wise, i found for climbing)

but it was a right laugh going down… if i were in the market, i'd consider one.

TonyL
    Free Member

I have one and it's excellent, climbs really well (especially if you have the u turn revs)and goes down hill really well. Just feels right if you know what I mean. I have been ridding a full sus for a few years now and just returned to a hardtail so was a bit worried I might struggle but the alpitude is great. I got mine mostly for trail inspection work at Lee Quarry and it copes with all the up and down rockyness there really well. Only had it for a few weeks so not tried it on a really long xc ride yet but I think it will be great for the hike a bike type lakes rides I like.

I think it climbs just as well as my Giant VT its really easy to keep the front wheel planted.

Only downside would be weight, but it does inspire confidence and I could lose a stone off my gut if I was that bothered about weight.

Over all I'm very pleased with mine. Good write up in wideopen mag (which you can get online)

snakebite
    Free Member

I have one too, went for the small 16.5" and I'm 5'11. Graet as an all dayer, climbs exceptionally well IMO, the front is well planted on the steepest stuff. Descends fine, good all rounder, cant say of anything I'm unhappy with it to be fair.

Mike
    Free Member

Great frames, needs a big fork 140mm minimum and don't worry about travel adjust forks, as you'll rarely want to use it…mate of mine with to many bikes is selling his 2010 model 16.5" if interested please drop me a mail

karnali
    Free Member

mike ygm

james-o
    Free Member

"wasn't great up a hill (was a bit of a pig, geometry wise, i found for climbing"

simply out of interest, compared to what other bikes? or just compared to a shorter forked bike?
    STW review rated it's climbing almost to the point where they reckoned it could be slacker for added dh bias; my 09 alpitude climbs stuff in the brecons i can't manage on a FS trail bike, i think it climbs well although not in an xc way, more of a techy climber. the 2010 bike's 1/2 deg slacker up front, since that's the way tastes are now and the forks up to 150mm travel.

karnali
    Free Member

how would it go with only 120mm fork on it?

snakebite
    Free Member

mine climbs better than my EX9, I've cleared steep stuff that I cant on the Trek

Rickos
    Free Member

You'd be OK with 120mm forks, but you certainly wouldn't be playing to its strengths.

TonyL
    Free Member

I find mine to be excellent on the climbs I can manage stuff on it which has me off pushing on my VT, front end stays down very well even on very steep stuff. I have the 2010 model with the 120 to 150mm u-turn revs on it. Seems like an ideal set up to me. Its lots of fun when pointing downwards as well!

BigGraham
    Free Member

I've got a 18" 2010 one with the U-turn rev's and its flippin awesome! love it, It's 32lbs with alfine fitted, it was a touch less "stock" about 30.5 ish? but it only took about a week before I started fiddling! Only frame forks c/set an brakes original now! (not that the spec isnt good stock but I get carried away 🙂 )

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

mebbe i was wrong on the climbing front. just wasn't very inspiring, and found it a bit of a drag.

nearest comparison i've ridden would be to my solitude with long 130mm Z1s on.

could have been its weight, or the fact that i was having a mare that day. but as i said, just didn't feel great up a hill, imo.

having said that, if i were to get a new steel HT, i'd plumb for one of them, quite likely.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Genesis alpitude – anyone own one?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts