Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Genesis 853 frame questions
  • oldgwegg
    Free Member

As well as keeping my eyes open for a secondhand Soul, I thought I’d look out for a Genesis 853 frame (or a Sanderson Life). I know its (possibly) not as good as a Soul (although I’ll remain optimistic on that one as at least some of you think it is) but if its 80% as good for a lot less money then I’d be happy.

Question is, I keep hearing talk (in old threads on here) of Altitude and Latitude. On the Genesis website, they don’t seem to have those models anymore. Whats the difference between the 2 frames ? I can only see Latitudes for sale at the moment (new on the BikeChain and fairly regularly secondhand).

Any tips on what to look for on these Genesis 853 frames ? Sometimes I see a number like 10, 20 or 30 after the Latitude. Does it mean anything ? And should I be looking for something post-CEN necessarily ?

skaifan
    Free Member

The latitude is the replacement for the altitude. The bloke responsible for making the altitude stickers done a spelling mistake and didnt tell anyone until they reached the stores. think the 10 and 20 were Reynolds 520.

h4muf
    Free Member

Don’t discount Pipedream,love mine!

Kryton57

skaifan – Member
    The latitude is the replacement for the altitude. The bloke responsible for making the altitude stickers done a spelling mistake and didnt tell anyone until they reached the stores. think the 10 and 20 were Reynolds 520.

I hope thats tongue in cheek becuase that’s not the real reason.

But anyway. They are they same bike with the exception of any tweaks over the annual launchs.

FuzzyWuzzy

lol would have been brilliant if it were the reason

TimCotic
    Free Member

I saw a superb reveiw of the Genesis Core 50 (or was it the 30?) in WMB a couple of years back when it won their all-round hardtail shoot-out. I used to ride a Soul but ride 29er now, but I recently rode my mate’s Cove Handjob and was very impressed. I’d add that to your shortlist too. Moving away from steel for a moment I reckon the Whyte 905 would be a very comfortable all-day bike too.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The Altitude was the original Genesis steel frame, name was changed to Latitude due to a Canadian manufacturer already having an Altitude in their line up.

The 2012 Latitude 853 frame comes with an XX44 headtube and a plate on the driveside chainstay for 2 x 10 compatibility. It also comes with ZB chainstays. Very different from my old Altitude which had none of these.

The numbers denote the model spec level. Some lower end Altitudes and Latitudes were indeed Reynolds 520. On the 2012 models the 520 frames came with a standard 1 1/8th headtube and the same shape chainstays on both drive and non-drive side.

jasonm945
    Free Member

There’s a Latitude on the bay here if it’s the right size for you?

Jay

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Cheers all – really helpful.

@h4muf – I had started to look at the Pipedream but then forgot about it as they didn’t seem to be as readily available.

@TimCotic – Ditto for the Cove – although I have seen a few more of those for sale but don’t know why, I just forgot about it – will take another look. Plus I got a bit distracted by HAVING to have a Soul. I do want to stick with steel for my next frame, just to experience the thrill of steel !!

@jasonm945 – thanks for pointing that out – but I’m after a small/16″ or 17″

gdj001
    Free Member

I had an Altitude 30 (853 version) and sold it. Gutted I had to sell it but needs must at the time (funding full suss)But i’d definitely get another one

If you’re looking for an Altitude go for the Altitude 30 as it’s 853, Latitude 20 is the 853 newer version, they didn’t make a Latitude 30

IHN

I think that the Latitude has slightly tweaked geometry.

I have the 853 Altitude 30 with 130mm Revs and it’s lovely. Mate has the same with 120mm Rebas and he’s similarly impressed.

jasonm945
    Free Member

Have you thought about a Duster not 853 but the Tange equivalent (almost).

Jay

timc
    Free Member

oldgwegg – Member

As well as keeping my eyes open for a secondhand Soul, I thought I’d look out for a Genesis 853 frame (or a Sanderson Life). I know its (possibly) not as good as a Soul (although I’ll remain optimistic on that one as at least some of you think it is) but if its 80% as good for a lot less money then I’d be happy

one could argue the VFM factor makes it a better frame… you can get a brand new one for £320!

oldgwegg
    Free Member

@jasonm945 – no, not more choice !! Just thinking about a Cove Handjob as another option.

@timc – Just found a new 2012 in my size at The Bike Chain for £309 too. Tempted but will look around first to buy secondhand and spend the saving on some better bits to build it up.

timc
    Free Member

Id just buy it new while you can if i were you unless you want to run a dropper 🙂

Kryton57

I have an Altitude 10, now converted to SS.

A plus for them – unlimited warranty against failure.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Quick update and to say thanks to everyone who helped me by responding with answers and advice.

I WAS intending to buy a steel hardtail frame and some decent forks but who would have guessed that what I actually wanted was a full sus 😀 ? I didn’t really realise you could get a FS for XC and I’d always assumed they were too expensive and for downhill.

Found an ad on here Saturday morning, quick drive halfway across France later and I’m the proud owner of a Rocky Mountain ETSx. I’m in love with it already ! Thanks again.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Genesis 853 frame questions’ is closed to new replies.