Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • General Consensus on Full Face Helmets
  • beano68
    Free Member

With Ard Rock approaching.. well still months away, what do more folk prefer to use for these events ? or is it down to the organisers what should be used ?

I’ve bought a MET Parachute which I’ve still not used which I did buy with intention to use for this event

Opinions plse

kimbers

if youre comfortable in it, wear it

wouldnt worry about what others think

Northwind

Organisers will tell you if it’s a requirement- very rare though.

Other than that it’s totally personal preference, open face for me and for most people but nothing wrong with full face if you want to.

The new Parachute does look like a good option with less downsides than most fullfaces.

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunnng! Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunn...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Simon

The ‘Ardrock route is 40km with a lot of climbing, that’s a long way to pedal in a full face helmet. I’ll be using an open face lid the same as last year, but it’s personal choice. Try doing some big rides in the parachute and see how you get on.

poah
    Free Member

I’d not wear anything else off road. either my parachute for normal trail or my 661 for DH duties.

the parachute is no hotter than a normal half shell.

beano68
    Free Member

Very true @Simon… There is a lot of hill work but there is the option of carrying 2 helmets which I don’t really want to do.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I have tried the MET Parachute and the Bell Super 2R as well as some other FF. The MET feels really solid almost as good as traditional FF but way lighter and much better ventelation, the Super 2R is comfy and even better ventilated but the chin bar feels really flex compared to the MET I’m not sure if this will effect actual safety though. When it comes traditional full face I really like 661 Comp feels better to me than some helmets triple the price.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If I wanted to go with options it would be the Bell Super 2r, as the main lid is the same as the normal super (bar a couple of tiny things that stop you using the chin bar) it’s a good compromise.

90% of the time I’m happy on the trail bike in an open face lid, sometimes I wear the FF is there is uplift and not much pedaling involved. It’s very personal preference.

beano68
    Free Member

I did look at the Bell 2R but as it wasn’t a solid 1 piece FF it did put me off, I like the idea but went for the MET instead and now can’t decide.

I’ve only used it for Thrunton woods only as I normally ride up there by myself and thinking of the safety aspect of riding alone.

deviant
    Free Member

Full face for racing (enduro and DH), rarely wear a lid when pootling about locally which I know is silly.

poah
    Free Member

just wear the dam parachute – why buy it if you are not going to wear it.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve bought a MET Parachute which I’ve still not used which I did buy with intention to use for this event

Start wearing it even on rides when it’s not really necessary. You want to know how you get on with it before you are lining up to start an event.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ard rock is not steep, muddy and rooty with face eating trees at every corner, like the Enduro trails at Inners etc. The odd rock about, but not really full face territory I’d venture.

Northwind

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member

Start wearing it even on rides when it’s not really necessary. You want to know how you get on with it before you are lining up to start an event.

That’s really good advice. Since personal preference is the important thing, first find out what your preference actually is 😉

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I’ll be wearing my Deviant at ‘Ardrock. Wore it last year for the whole loop. It’s a comfy, well vented full face. The majority wear open face helmets at the event but I can’t really see a reason not to wear one if you’ve got one and are comfortable pedalling a 40 km loop in it; which I am.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I used to wear the old type Parachute, it was oaky, but I didn’t have much faith in being a million times better than a normal “AM” type helmet like a Fox Flux in a face plant type crash, yes there was a chin bar, but unlike a proper FF lid it wasn’t nearly secure enough around your head to do much – and I have to admit I looked a total bell-end in it. I hear the new one is much better though, and there’s a whole raft of these lightweight FF lids now since Enduro has exploded in popularity.

I’ve got a Troy Lee D2 now, I say now, I’ve had it for years – I use it whenever I’m going to be going fast and don’t have to pedal much, it’s baking hot in hot weather, but when you’re moving it’s fine. Use it whenever I’m on a lift or uplift ride.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I used to wear the old type Parachute, it was oaky, but I didn’t have much faith in being a million times better than a normal “AM” type helmet like a Fox Flux in a face plant type crash, yes there was a chin bar, but unlike a proper FF lid it wasn’t nearly secure enough around your head to do much – and I have to admit I looked a total bell-end in it.

Mine is still kicking about in my garage. I completely messed up a double at Inners, landed with a wheel either side of the landing and launched myself off the bike, down the track sliding a long way on my chin (side of my face rather than direct on the point of the chin guard). Got up asking my mate how much of my face was left, not a scratch. Was a bit sore for a few days but the Parachute took the full impact of my fat face sliding along the ground without breaking or showing much of a sign of impact.

Was absolutely amazed how well it stood up to the impact, as was my mate who ordered one off the back of how well it protected me.

Really wouldn’t have liked to try a chin first accident though, saying that hitting the deck chin first is going to hurt so maybe better having something to absorb some of the impact…

At the price of the new ones though I’ve stayed away from replacing it. Currently use open for XC and proper full face for uplift days when on a DH bike.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘General Consensus on Full Face Helmets’ is closed to new replies.