Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • General brake fluid/brake lever question…
  • gsp1984
    Free Member

Hi my knowledge is lacking when it comes to brakes.

My organic pads have done maybe 90 miles in mainly wet and very sandy conditions, they are getting low and I have some sintered pads waiting to go in but they don’t need doing yet.

My problem is the lever now has a very late bite point, so the lever comes closer to the bar than I would like. Do I just need to top up the brake fluid reservoir to sort it out?

Any help appreciated.

dantsw13

When you put in new pads, they will be thicker, therefore take up some of the slack in your lever. Aftermarket pads -eg Superstar – are even thicker than manufacturers ones.

Do your brakes have any lever/bite point adjust?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hydro brakes should self adjust and the lever travel should remain the same as the pads wear. I suspect sticky pistons

gsp1984
    Free Member

They are hope tech m4, the levers have been adjusted as much as they can be.

They are only a couple of months old and cleaned reasonably well, I’ll whip the pads out and clean/check the pistons/ spring though. I may as well pop the front pads in the rear while I’m at it and see if that makes a difference.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The spring is only there to stop rattling. the seals deform as the brake goes on and as the brake is released the seals pull the pistons back. they self adjust by the pistons sliding thru the seals – give the seals a lube with brake fluid.

Set them up as per the vids on the hope site -makes a huge difference

MarkyG82

As they are so new its possible they were underfilled and/or sat on the shelf for to long.

Give Hope a call. They seem to be really good at stuff like this.

rickmeister

I’m with TJ, they should self adjust to remain the same feel and bite point throughout the pad life. If you put more fluid in, when the time comes to push the pistons back for the new pads there will be too much fluid in total.

Pads out, clean with some brake cleaner and a toothbrush, spray of silicone around the pistons and your done.

Just a thought, are the pistons metal/shiny silver, or the harder plastic Phenolic/black… Reason I ask os the phenolic ones I have are more resistant to corrosion than the metal ones which became sticky.

HTH

gsp1984
    Free Member

Just a thought, are the pistons metal/shiny silver, or the harder plastic Phenolic/black… Reason I ask os the phenolic ones I have are more resistant to corrosion than the metal ones which became sticky.

I have the black ones by the looks of it.

Just took the apart, the pads were more knackered than I first thought so replaced them for the sintered spares I have and the lever is awesome again.

Calipers and pistons were filthy though, need to clean them after next weekends muddy antics.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘General brake fluid/brake lever question…’ is closed to new replies.