Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Geeky question: maximising processor speed
  • secret-squirrel
    Free Member

I bought an HP2133 very cheaply last year (£140) as a way of experimenting with Linux … eventually I got fed up with this (due to my ineptitude and work's over-reliance on Windows-type software) and installed Windows 7 Home and now use it as a very useful portable netbook. I have upgraded the RAM to 2GB, otherwise everything is original.

I have just reinstalled everything as it had started to run slowly, and I think Kaspersky 2011 was to blame – I'm now using the free version of AVG and all seems fine.

When I checked on the performance WEI, I was a bit surprised to see that the scores were:

Processor – 1.2 😥
    Memory (RAM) – 3.4
    Graphics – 2.0
    Gaming graphics – 2.1
    Primary hard disk – 5.2

While I know and accept that the processor is a bit limited, I didn't realise that is was the weakest link by so great a margin. My question (as a complete amateur in this) is whether / how I can maximise processor speed and get my 2133 running as fast and efficiently as possible? I realise replacing the processor probably isn't an option (although I have a computer screwdriver and am willing to experiment), so wonder what I can / should do to improve things.

Any ideas? In simple terms, please 😉

lowey

Watercool your processor and over clock it.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

In simple terms, please

I am a wannabee geek without any of the prerequisite knowledge / i.e. "all the gear, no idea …" (My bike skills are a bit better, fortunately).

wwaswas

Watercool your processor and over clock it.

easier said than done with a netbook…

I think you just have to accept that it's a limitation of the machine.

Windows XP might run faster. I think there's a Windows 7 for netbooks too?

thebunk

You do realise that:

I have a computer screwdriver and am willing to experiment

sounds a bit like "I've got a bike spanner and am willing to experiment" don't you? Basically though, if it runs OK at the moment then just try not to install to much rubbish on it.

kaysee

I'm afraid you're pretty stuffed. The Via CPU in the 2133 is never going to run as quickly as even the slower Intel Atom processors. My 2133 runs a slightly tweaked XP at an acceptable speed, and I use it as an 'expendable' laptop when doing any boat work. Only run one or two programs at once and run off mains power when possible (the CPU speed steps up then – if you run full-speed on batts, they last no time at all).

The best option is to upgrade to a newer netbook with Atom processor and a 6-cell battery – 5-7 hours of life then, rather than the measly 2-2:30 on the 2133. The downside is 95% of netbooks use a crap 800×600 resolution screen, rather than the 1280×800 of the 2133, although the pixel pitch is so small you need good eyes to use it.

sputnik
    Free Member

Squirt of GT85 should sort it 🙂

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

I'm afraid you're pretty stuffed. The Via CPU in the 2133 is never going to run as quickly as even the slower Intel Atom processors.

Yes, I suspected this might be the case. TBH, I'm not disappointed with the 2133, as it was very cheap and runs Windows, Office, FB, etc pretty well, and like you say is a very good "extra" which is a lot less bulky for travels than a laptop. I can even play DVDs on it reasonably well if I connect up an external DVD player. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do just to maximise performance … I've heard that switching off Aero can help, but I quite like that.

Drac

It's netbook not really meant to a performance machine so I'm not surprised at those results.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

I was just a bit surprised at the 1.2 for processor performance … probably shouldn't have been!

Cougar

To be honest, I wouldn't pay much attention to those figures. They're arbitary scales that MS have made up. The question you should be asking is "how can I speed up my computer." Short of overclocking (and good luck with that) you're probably stuck with that CPU speed; it's probably not possible and certainly not cost-effective to swap out the processor.

What I'd do on that machine is,

Normal housekeeping; make sure that the automatic maintenance things like Defrag and Windows Update are running (they should be unless you've disabled them).

Uninstall anything you're not using.

Make sure you're using up-to-date drivers, including the BIOS for your netbook.

Run TFC

Remove AVG (because it gets successively more pish with each version they release) and install Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

If you've got an SD slot in there, consider investing in the fastest 2Gb SD card you can find and set up Readyboost on it. A Sandisk Ultra II can be had for under a tenner at Amazon. If you don't have an SD slot, you can do the same thing with a USB key.

There's a forum for this thing here – it might be worth asking for performance tips on there as they might have some tweaks specific to your model.

lowey

Opps….. *note to self, read post fully before replying*

Didnt notice it was a net book.

I'd take windows off it and put Ubuntu on. Its great for speeding up older slower machines. Mate of mine put it on an old Dell single core celleron lappy and the difference was chalk and cheese.

Ubuntu is basically a free to use operating system, which you run instead of windows.

Download a copy of it, burn it to cd, and from this you can run it on a windows based machine without having to install it too see how it works. If your happy, do a full install.

I reckon that would be your only option to speed it up.

Cougar

I bought an HP2133 very cheaply last year (£140) as a way of experimenting with Linux … eventually I got fed up with this (due to my ineptitude and work's over-reliance on Windows-type software)

lowey

*backs away from thread*

brassneck

Actually, at the risk of saying 'Linux' yet again it might be worth another look at the Ubuntu netbook remix HERE depending on what you had installed on it to start with.

brassneck

Or come to that, XP if you've got a copy knocking around, still takes some beating for general work whilst retaining work land compatibility without too much faff.

Cougar

The word is that Windows 7 is actually faster than XP on lower-spec hardware such as netbooks. I've no personal experience of this other than MS's propaganda so it could be the same hogwash they've been trotting out since Windows 95 days, but that's the theory.

Waderider
    Free Member

It is often down to the bios/motherboard whether you can overclock (typing this from an overclocked PC running 64 bit Ubuntu). And I've never overclocked a laptop, and am certain you can't do it to a netbook.

It would be easier to keep trying linux. Why not dual boot, that way you can learn at your own pace?

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, and to Cougar for the step-by-step advice which I will definitely try. There is an SD slot, so I will also look into getting the card mentioned. I have tried the hp forum mentioned, but responses tend to be slow, so I thought I'd try you helpful guys too 😆

I did originally try Ubuntu Netbook Remix, but the graphics could not support it and it ran at a snail's pace. I did have some success with Xubuntu and also Mepis, but I bailed out in the end, as I found I needed to use Office a lot for work, especially for swapping documents to and fro. I know Open Office is good, but in the end I opted for MS again, perhaps to my shame 😳

Nevertheless, I am officially a (very mature) student and can get MS stuff very cheaply (£35 for Win7 and £38 for Office 2010 which I really like). The jury is out re. MS and paying for it as far as I am concerned. It's pretty user-friendly, but I am also interested in the open-source software debate, although my lack of IT skills makes this less tenable in the short term. I do like fettling though …

May try a dual boot … I know someone who can help / bail me out with that.

How do I update BIOS? This is something I haven't tried … yet!

Cougar

It would be easier to keep trying linux

Horses for courses, OP has already said that it's not appropriate due to work requirements.

I like Linux, and have a Linux box here in addition to the Windows ones. But it's not a one-size-fits-all solution and no offence intended but I do so tire of the "I have a Windows problem, can anyone help?" – "yes, use Linux" train of thought. You wouldn't see this in other threads, "I have a problem with the BB on my Trek, can anyone help?" – "yeah, sell it and get an Orange."

Cougar

How do I update BIOS? This is something I haven't tried … yet!

It varies between machines, but it's usually just a case of downloading the relevant file from HP and running it just as you would a driver. There should be instructions on the download page, HP are usually pretty good like that.

Office 2010 which I really like

As an aside, how's it compare to previous versions? I've not got around to looking at it yet.

Waderider
    Free Member

OP has already said that it's not appropriate

Thanks, I pre-read the thread. Dual boot being the key phrase in my last post.

You solution of cleaning up Windows is like a sticky plaster for a broken leg. The OP needs a faster machine or a faster operating system.

Office 2010 is more resource intensive than 2007 so is a bad choice here.

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Office 2010 seems really slick, fast and user-friendly (on my main laptop). I think it's a bit like the difference between Vista and Win7, in that it just does things a bit better – and it has favourable reviews. I ran the beta of 2010 on my netbook first (and it worked fine), so was keen to get the full finished version.

The only negative (and this isn't MS's fault) is that is is incompatible with Endnote referencing software up to X3, and you have to buy X4 in order to be able to use it as an add-in. This is a shortcoming on Endnote's part, and after some negotiation, they let me have a copy of X4 at below cost. It will save me hours when I'm writing up my PhD though …

Cougar

You solution of cleaning up Windows is like a sticky plaster for a broken leg. The OP needs a faster machine or a faster operating system.

Well, yes, in an ideal world. But as far as I can see neither of those options are available, correct me if I'm wrong, hence trying to make the most of what we've got to work with.

Office 2010 is more resource intensive than 2007 so is a bad choice here.

I wondered about that. I've had no dealings with 2010 yet so can't comment directly, but from what I can gather from a brief google they seem comparable in terms of requirements (rather like the Vista / W7 comparison Squirrel just made). On that build I'd have perhaps looked at older (pre-2007) versions of Office, but figured that 2010 was all that was available on the student discount offer, short of going to OpenOffice instead. Whether that would be any faster or not I don't know, I've not used OO in years.

brassneck

The word is that Windows 7 is actually faster than XP on lower-spec hardware such as netbooks. I've no personal experience of this other than MS's propaganda so it could be the same hogwash they've been trotting out since Windows 95 days, but that's the theory.

yeah I heard that too 🙂

Might be true for 2Gb+ ram & and all the gubbins switched off.. I have a 4Gb dual core in front of me and it was snappier under XP – but I like 7 enough to live with that. Mmmm shiney..

Anyway back to the OP. Hackintosh it? <ducks.. but google says meh…>

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Geeky question: maximising processor speed’ is closed to new replies.