Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Geeky Q: Visual Basic 6
  • footflaps

What’s the best way to get hold of a copy of VB-6?

Is there anywhere that sells 2nd hand SW other than Ebay?

toby1

Do you really have to? you’d need an old copy of Microsoft visual studio I suspect – where you’d source that from I couldn’t possibly say.

I guess it depends what you are doing but you ‘may’ be able to upgrade the source to vb.net using a tool and a later version of visual studio?

xiphon
    Free Member

Depending on how legit you want to remain, I might be able to ‘source’ a copy of Visual Studio 6…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably have a look round here
    Maybe mail them. Any reason for using the old versions?

Cougar
    xiphon
    Free Member

FYI, one method I can get it, is through an MSDN subscription. I have a big CD wallet with MS CDs (legit!), and VS6 is one of them.

footflaps

I have some 3rd party VB-6 source code I’d like to use and integrate with some VBA code I’ve written. The simplest was seems to be to get hold of a copy of VB-6 and turn the VB-6 code into a DLL I can call from VBA?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have some 3rd party VB-6 source code I’d like to use and integrate with some VBA code I’ve written.

cutting edge stuff…

footflaps

Also being pretty fluent in VBA, I figure VB-6 will be pretty easy to use out the box…..

footflaps

cutting edge stuff…

I’m not bothered how fashionable the code is, the source code will have a huge amount of development time, so I’m happy to use it…

xiphon
    Free Member

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Sounds like VB6 will fit the purpose nicely

Cougar

I have some 3rd party VB-6 source code I’d like to use and integrate with some VBA code I’ve written. The simplest was seems to be to get hold of a copy of VB-6 and turn the VB-6 code into a DLL I can call from VBA?

IIRC, converters are available?

footflaps

Not sure to be honest – I’ve read that the converters for VBA to .NET aren’t universal, and as a VB-6 DLL will do the job, it seems the simplest route to go.

toby1

VB dll’s – all I can say I you are a braver man than I sir! Good luck and God speed!

😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

VB dll’s – all I can say I you are a braver man than I sir!

plus he is using VBA!

never mind – it can’t be a professional project – surely?

JulianA
    Free Member

There are still VBA contracts out there at £650 per day, so I wouldn’t be too down on the older stuff…

Just wouldn’t go for it myself – better to try to stay current.

xiphon
    Free Member

Legacy developers are laughing all the way to the bank.

Met a dev who was contracted by BAE to interface old COBOL code with a .NET platform.

£2k per day he charged. And had been doing it for 2yrs when I met him…. said he only started doing some programming contracts to help pay for his grandkids education! He only kept up to date with the .NET skills as he was a programmer in the 80s/90s, and it was a hobby…

Knew some batch programmers in London, who worked in the City on legacy banking systems – silly money!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Geeky Q: Visual Basic 6’ is closed to new replies.