Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Geek help: Cisco CCNA course
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Looking to do the CCNA course. Appreciate it changes Sept this year with an amended course syllabus. I’m not necessarily doing it to get a new job, but it would be good for my brain to exercise my grey matter. I’ve plenty of Cisco hardware to practice configs on as I work within IT currently. There looks to be plenty of companies out there to help you go through the content and onto the exam. I’m NOT the fastest learner out there, and I’ve got other things going on in my life. I’ve ordered a few books to help me. Any thoughts on which path I should take? I vaguely remember how boring the ISO level diagram is from year back.

xiphon
    Free Member

Surely it depends on what are of networking you want to get employment in?

I’m considering the CCNA:Security route, mostly because I have an interest in computer security, as opposed to career requirements.

Are you currently CCENT? Any other courses (from other companies) you wish to do?

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

I’ve no other IT specific qualifications. I guess network admin side interested me most and is most relevant for my current line of work.

xiphon
    Free Member

Consider CCENT, and some MS qualifications.

Love ’em or hate ’em – they are the benchmark by which your CV will be judged.

With the explosion of Macs (and BYOD on the rise), it might be worth looking at an Apple Tech qualification. ( http://training.apple.com/certification )

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

First stop, CCNA Routing and Switching. It’s the bread and butter of networking. Then if you find a more specific area of networking you’re interested in you can go down a more specific route.

R&S will serve you best to start with.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Agree with YR 110%. Start with R&S.

Its far and away the best course I’ve ever done. I wouldn’t be where I am today without it.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

R&S looks to be the most interesting. Thanks guys, really appreciated.

hockropper

Look at the CBT Nuggets videos as they really help get the information across and get GNS 3 with a 2681 IOS. You can then practice doing configs whilst watching the videos.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I don’t think there is a 2681 router in the Cisco line, RH?

I would suggest a 3640 IOS. NM-16ESW for something closer to modelling Catalysts.

Russell96

Plenty of hands on, GNS3 is ideal for it, get the common commands sort of into muscle memory so you can rattle them off quickly almost without thinking which will help you a lot in the exam.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Geek help: Cisco CCNA course’ is closed to new replies.