Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Gee Atherton tries to chase 400 riders down an Irish hillside
  • AndyA
    Free Member
    MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Something a bit showy offy (not sure they are words) about it for me. Look at how much better i am than you mincers.

Which he obviously is.

Jamie
    Free Member

Something a bit showy offy (not sure they are words) about it for me. Look at how much better i am than you mincers.

I dunno. Just seemed like a lot of fun for all involved.

emac65
    Free Member

I dunno. Just seemed like a lot of fun for all involved

+1,looks a hoot

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Just my opinion, i don’t deny it looked fun.

Wouldn’t be fun for me mind when he passed me just after setting off 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Just my opinion, i don’t deny it looked fun.

Ok, Buzz Killington, you’ve had your say 8)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3xeDWkAiqI[/video]

AndyA
    Free Member

It’s all good craic tho and he’s a good lad. He had plenty of time to chat to folk.
    Think he finished 31st.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Regardless of of the pro riders, the 400 strong mass start over open countryside into a DH track looks like a right laugh (to watch)

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

well he didn’t beat them all down, so he ain’t all that! 😀

emac65
    Free Member

Poor bloke’s racing line at 1:04,oops …

AndyA
    Free Member

The course was an absolute belter. Good mix of terrain with some well sketchy bits.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Look at how much better i am than you mincers.

From what I saw, he didn’t win or even come second, in fact they didn’t even show him finish.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

TBH it would be pretty cool to have Gee Atherton breathing down your neck even for a few nanoseconds… though not in a homoerotic way, well unless that floats your boat 😆

I sorta love/hate the Athertons in equal measures. They are cool. But then they are a bit look-at-me look-at-me and have these ridiculous mid-Atlantic/Shropshire accents. But then they are pretty cool. I think the bit at the beginning with Gee (how do you even pronounce that?) busting fists with the other riders pretty much sums up that he’s a decent bloke.

portlyone

He crashed, but came somewhere near the top 5. I think only pro’s beat him. Think Job Barnes was in second or something.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m basing it more on my opinion of Gee. I’ve not met him mind so as i say it’s just an opinion.

Don’t want my opinion to take over the thread so if you enjoy the video then brilliant.

AndyA
    Free Member

Other than Joe Barnes and Liam Moynihan all the top riders were locals. Gee finished 31st, but he starts from a different spot and slightly behind the rest.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

He mooched about the campsite all weekend chatting to everyone, lots of time for people. I did the first one in 2011 too and was very dissapointed that he turned out to be a nice fella. So fast and not a ****, it doesnt seem fair.

Other than the fastest 50 or so riders everyone is just there for the craic. And it is mighty craic, best MTB event on the island IMO. Here’s my gopro from the slow end of the proceedings, I was slightly out of my depth as you can tell:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkzIcc1czds[/video]

iolo
    Free Member

All the athertons are really nice.
    As are most of the pros.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

So fast and not a ****

Damn it! … sometimes your heroes really let you down.. 😉

^iolo has taken some happy pills today. Oooohhh… nice to see.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m alway happy in my own special way

elliptic
    Free Member

Seems like a great way to trash the trails to me, people straightlining and cutting corners all over the place.

But if the locals don’t mind…

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

Extra lines were put in for the event, theyll be closed off again. All of the doubletrack jumpy stuff was built just for the race and will unfortunately have to be destroyed for insurance reasons 🙁

coogan
    Free Member

I like the guy taking a short cut at 1.02. :mrgreen:

jambalaya
    Free Member

Quite a dry day for the Emerald Isle.

Looks likes great event, @evillittlegoat cool film, very polite you fellas – after you, no after you !

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

after you, no after you

LOL, barging me into the stones at the top and waving me through at the bottom, it all balances out!

andyl46
    Free Member

I missed it this year (work, grr…), and it looks like the best year yet. Everyone here in Norn Irn has said what a thoroughly decent fella Gee is, no end of smiling for photos etc. Even with some pretty forceful overtakes everyone knew the score, this was a contact sport! Big thanks to all involved, I’ll be there next year!!!

PS, cutting corners was not just racecraft, but pretty much encouraged if you had the skills and the nerve. There was tape to delineate the course in some places, but no tape = free lines!

rOcKeTdOg

whats the tune on that second vid?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

cutting corners was not just racecraft, but pretty much encouraged if you had the skills and the nerve.

…As exemplified by the bit where Gee whips past everyone mincing across the footbridge en masse.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=576654082382734

Gee’s headcam. Watch out princess!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Looks brilliant and shows (again) the Athertons remember what makes mtb’ing great.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I take my earlier post back, after watching Gee’s headcam i really want a go.

Maybe i was totally wrong about Gee, watched a few video’s over the last few days and he does come across as a nice guy.

I’m off to eat some humble pie now.

Markie
    Free Member

Watch out princess!

😀

diawl2
    Free Member

4.46 T Bone!

crispyrice

Im a 0:06 at the start. That ranks as one of the best weekends i have ever had… So much fun and totally exhilarating. Can’t wait for next year!

cr500dom
    Free Member

That headcam Vid was scary….just a different league

matt1986
    Free Member

That head cam is class. How fast he is and some of the stuff he rides of the single track is amazing

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Gee Atherton tries to chase 400 riders down an Irish hillside’ is closed to new replies.