Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Geax tyres
  • asbrooks

Hi,
    Are any of you guys using geax tyres? What do you think about them?
    On-one are selling them for £10-£15, just wondering if they are a good buy or not.
    Cheers
    Andrew

househusband

Been using Saguaro TNT tyres for years! Also have some Daturas for really grim conditions and have some Gomas on order as the Saguaros are a bit out of season in the woods…

boxelder

They’re Vittoria for mtb (or were until recently) so great quality. I’ve been very happy with Saguaros – can’t speak for others, but fancy Gomas

edward2000
    Free Member

TNT is just the tubeless version of the Geax tyres isn’t it?

bigjim

had a goma over the summer, great in the dry, totally utterly lethal on wet rock

boxelder

TNT is just the tubeless version of the Geax tyres isn’t it?

Yes – but expect a tight fit. I find the normal folders work fine tubeless (Stans rim)

asbrooks

Cheers for the replies.
    Jim, I was looking for something to run over the winter. Description says they’re ok in the wet. On-one are selling them for £10. http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYGEGO/geax-goma-26-inch-folding-tyre. If no good in the wet, I’ll look elsewhere.

birdage

Been running the Gomas over Summer, 2.4 on the front, 2.25 on the back. Really good, grip well, don’t drag and went onto Blunt rims easily. They don’t come up big, Hans Dampf seem bigger and agree they are sketchy in the wet. Not going to use them through the Winter.

househusband

As long as the Gomas are better in rooty woodland than the Saguaros I’ll be happy… will otherwise have to put on the heavier Daturas!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

The TNT ones are good – nice solid sidewall and easy peasy to set up tubeless.

househusband

The Gomas arrived yesterday and I fitted them tubeless to my Flows last night. An almost slightly loose fit meant that I was unable to use the track pump to mount; needed a CO2 cartridge to pop onto the rim before deflating, getting rid of the CO2 as best I could (it can, in my experience congeal the sealant) and then re inflating once sealant syringed through valve. A few shakes and they’ve stayed up overnight.

I’ve always been able to inflate my TNT Saguaros and UST Daturas using just the pump.

Feels like it isn’t too hard a compound and should offer far more grip than the Saguaro in winter conditions – and a bargain at a tenner each!

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I’m running 2.1 TNT Gatos on my hard tail with gorilla tape tubeless. They’re a bugger to get on the rim but seat and seal easily.

Grip wise, it’s not been massively muddy here by they seem to handle mud no worse than any other tyre.

For the money I think they’re totally ace

This is what I bought:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYGEGAUST/geax-gato-26-inch-ust-folding-tyre

I also got a Barro UST for my susser, and like a fool left a glowing review, which appears to have hiked the price from 12.99 to 19.99

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I cant fault the Goma on the back except in wet rock and roots, where it readily slips out as compared to a Hans dampf. I think the issue is not enough edges. Everywhere else I’ve been perfectly happy with it.

I’m not happy to use it as a front tyre though, it’s not square enough for my tastes.

beardo74
    Free Member

I used some TNT Datura’s for winter riding in Epping Forest last year. Great at getting you through thick clay and mud (brilliant traction) and they went up tubelss with Stan’s rim strips very easily using a track pump. Only issue is they are very heavy and quite draggy on hard surfaces, but then I think they are primarily designed for downhill.

edward2000
    Free Member

So what Geax tyres are good on wet rocks?

bigjim

I think the issue is not enough edges

I think its the rubber compound, the tread pattern is almost the same as the popular butcher/G4/G5/minion style pattern, which are great, and the rubber is soft, just doesn’t work in the wet.

Nobby

So what Geax tyres are good on wet rocks?

Definitely not the Saguaros if last weekend in Afan was anything to go by 😯

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Could be big Jim. Its relatively soft though, is it not?

There is one other thing about them, in order to make them feel cush, I seem to have to run them much lower pressure than I would otherwise, which has been causing me some rim strikes. No issues yet, they have that need reinforcement to see to that, but it’s only a question of time before I snake bite then.

Like you say, it’s a pretty damn good tyre in the dry.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

I’ve just binned a pair of Gomas the were not enough tyre for Aberdeenshire granite. Tears in front and rear that were too big to repair.

I’d say good if you want an easy rolling tyre for forest type trails but not great grip in the wet and not meaty enough for sharp rocks.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve only been using one on the rear of my Sultan since the end of August, but the damage a weekend in the lakes did was obvious.

edhornby

I have the barro mountain on mine (came with them) and they are are great for californian or italian like conditions, you know the kind of firm dry trails we usually get in Manchester

I will be buying a chunky monkey for the front now that they are due for replacement

gamo
    Free Member

Goma’s are great fast rollers in the dry, clog up in the mud and slid about like mad! Highroller 11’s back on mine.

gamo
    Free Member

The deals are because of the rebranding to Vittoria.

asbrooks

gamo- I know that they are rebranding, I just though it might be a good idea to get some whist they are going cheap ..

I’m currently running nobby nic and rocket ron configuration, I find the sidewalls a bit flimsy. I’ve just acquired a new set of wheels and would like to protect the rim as much as possible. (read clumsy rider 😀 )

It looks like I’m going to have to look elsewhere.

Any other deals to be had?

househusband

Goma’s are great fast rollers in the dry, clog up in the mud and slid about like mad!

Great… can’t wait to get back to Pitmedden with them on!!! 🙄

noltae
    Free Member

Had a pair of Barro TNT and they were really good – considering how light they were and that I ran them tubeless at a seriously low pressure the sidewalls held up brilliantly.. They seated too easily and stayed inflated with a hand pump without sealent – for a day .. Then I added sealent .. Only cost £40 for the pair – Once my Racing Ralphs are worn out I’ll be going back to them – highly recommended…

asbrooks

noltae, on-one have them for a tenner at the moment. Did you have them on both wheels? 2.3 on the front,2.1 at the back..

househusband

I can now confirm that all the above statement regarding the Goma being lethal/sketchy/slidy in the wet are all indeed true… certainly no better than the Saguaro in wet, muddy and rooty woodland.

Daturas next time.

Bregante

I’m currently using Gato’s on my rigid 29er. Fine on the back -properly scary on the front in the mud.

spud-face

I’ve got the tenner barro TNTs for my 1st foray into tubeless. They’re ridiculously tight to get on, I had to knock together one of those diy pop bottle compressors to get them to seat, and the 2.3 comes up slightly narrower than the 2.25 rocket tons on my other bike.

Very impressed with them nonetheless, feels like I can plough over anything and everything. If my tyre fetish hadn’t already filled the shed with spares; I’d buy an extra set whilst they were so cheap. (for note, I’m a barely competent cyclist – gnarsoles may have a different experience)

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I tried my 2.1 Gatos in the mud last week. Utterly utterly awful, worse (by far) than my old 1.8 nobby nicks

Nobby

Oddly, I was quite impressed with the Gato’s in the mud t’other day. The front is very pressure sensitive & needs to run pretty low – the rear cut through most cack well enough.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

They clear brilliantly, but have sod all grip on the Leicestershire clay. Although I should point out that I usually ride a Fatty so expectations might be a bit unrealistic

Nobby

Lol, that’s cheating.

Bullet

I rode a fatty once – she was quite fun as I recall 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Geax tyres’ is closed to new replies.