• This topic has 27 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by alexh.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Geax and On One tyre recommendations
  • breninbeener

On One seem to be doing some good prices on Geax and their own brand chunky monkey smorgasbord tyres in 26″ flavour.
    I havnt used any of these brands before, but there seems to be DH tyres, AM tyres and xc tyres. As we have all those bikes here for the family, can anyone recommend or give feedback on them pls?

mboy
    Free Member

Geax make some fantastic tyres. Depends on what you’re after though. They do err towards the XC end of the spectrum…

breninbeener

Well we have DH bikes, some 150mm full sus and some racy xc ht bikes, so i was thinki g of stocking up with some new rubber whilst they seemed well priced. If its decent we will prob buy and use it!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Got some lobo locos ((DH but on my trail bike for winter), barros (hard tail for winter but quite robust) and datura (mud xc/trail) for buttons from O-O.

They are bit narrow compared to conti’s (barro 2.3 a fair bit narrower than a trail king 2.2).

Seem more than good enough for the money, decent compounds, sturdy side walls on the TNT. Cheap as chips.

kilo

Geax are just Vittoria under another name. And the Vittoria website was good for giving a description of use protection etc. I have a saguaro on my ibis and it’s a great xc tyre . Bought another of the cheap gaex for my winter bike but not fitted it yet

kimbers

chunky monkeys are a great tyre for most conditions, break away a bit if its too muddy come up nice and chunky

pickle
    Free Member

Use the Smorgasbord trail extreme on my 456 and they’re good. £14.99 each were a bargain as well 🙂

rhid

I bought a Lobo Loco the other day and its pretty good. Its a 2.3 and it on the back of my trail bike. did the CYB enduro and a few other trails on it and its pretty good. I also bought another one which name begins with “s” but right now I cannot remember, but looking at the website I think its the Saguaro. I haven’t use that yet but looks fine.

I think I may get a nfew more Lobo Locos as they are down to £3.99!

I have used the On One Smorgasborg too and that was ok. Seemed a big 2.35 though. Prefer the Geax one so far.

scandal42
    Free Member

Good for the money.

Gato is decent Imo, TNT version seemed bigger though which is strange.

Chunky Monkey is the nuts

robgclarkson
    Free Member

used a chunky monkey up front and a smorgass board on the rear (26″ 160mm full sus) and was really very happy with them, did most things well

also had a geax saguaro on the back on of a 29″ XC 100mm ht, & it was an excellent tyre, lasted for ages too… only slippy mud seemed to slow it down.

spawnofyorkshire

Had the barros and didn’t get on with it at all, especially on rocky stuff.
    Run a few Smorgasboards over the last few years and really rate them. Only get a bit out of step in sloppy mud but that’s the case with most tyres

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The Chunky Monkey is great as a general purpose front tyre on the hardtail. Running tubeless on Flow EX.
    The Smorgasbord fitted on the rear at the same time was a disaster though. Destroyed by pinching through the carcass twice in first ride. Nowhere near tough enough or big enough volume to survive anything remotely rocky.

Datura TNT has been OK as winter slop tyre but grip on roots and wet rocks is not good.

Loco Lobo TNT failed spectacularly for me but I think it may have been a manufacturing defect. The rubber encasing the kevlar bead separated from it and the tyre exploded off the rim on landing from a small drop. They promptly went back to O-O who refunded. I might just have been unlucky. I haven’t tried them since. Maxxis dual ply or Schwalbe supergravity are the only rear tyres that I’ve been happy with.

dbcooper
    Free Member

I use the datura and they seem great on wet roots.

oldtalent
    Free Member

The geax goma is by far the worst tyre I have ever used. Borderline dangerous on the front in any conditions. Drifts nicely on the rear though.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Chunky/Smorg on the Cube and unless its gopping they’re really good – by gopping I mean stupidly sloppy to the point you’d be better on spikes!
    Tubes in them at the moment but only as I never bothered messing going tubeless at the time.
    Will be getting done soon though.

bigjim

I had a Goma, was fantastic in the dry but not so good on wet rock. I have a pair of Daturas I’ve never ended up using I need to somehow sell for less than on one!

GregMay
    Free Member

Saguaros are my go to summer/spring/autumn tyre. Love them.

richardthird

Still think CM & Smorg are a great value+performing pair. Own brand Maxxis Exo aren’t they. Tubeless, grippy, volume. They even roll ok and aren’t *too* heavy. 29er on the SS and 26er on the Anthem all year.

deviant
    Free Member

The Chunky Monkey is great as a front, bit like a Minion…..never got on with the Smorgasbord, it’s trying to be an Ardent and I think they’re crap too.

The Geax Datura spikes are truly brilliant winter tyres, they were a tenner for wire bead and £15 for folding last time I looked….how they haven’t all gone yet is a mystery to me!?…i love still having a 26 inch HT, tyre bargains like that don’t seem to come up for my 27.5 inch Trance nearly as often.

edhornby

how do the smorg/CM work with wider rims ? the smorg are quite tall so do they go with a 25mm or 30mm rim ? I’m thinking not completely fat or 29+ but a bit lardier than usual

PolisherMan

I was just waiting for some feedback on the Saguaros, I’ll get some ordered! 🙂

unovolo
    Free Member

Bought a pair of Geax AKA’s for my 29er for next summer, and a 26er Loboloco for my daughters hardtail, £7.99 each for the AKA’s and £3.99 for the loboloco hard to knock at them prices.

kelvin

Saguaros are a great rear tyre. I use them on the rear of both 26 & 29 hardtails. Approved.

Gato worth looking at for a not too draggy but mud happy front. I’m keeping mine on the 29. Like it.

Datura I’ve found to be rubbish on wet green rocks/roots, yet has the kind of big tread you’d only use in the winter. An odd one.

timb34
    Free Member

Had a Vittoria AKA as a back tyre since the start of the summer – 29er in TNT casing (grey sidewalls).

Easy tubeless, seems to have pretty tough sidewalls (at least as good as Specialized control casing). Fast in the dry but not super grippy over damp smooth rocks/roots. 2.0 looks smaller than the 2.0 fast trak that it replaced. Weirdly what looks like two rows of knobs in the center are actually really small and sit on a raised strip – the knobs are almost gone leaving a nearly smooth continuous line in the middle.

No difference between older Geax branded tyres and newer Vittoria branded – the one I got has Vittoria printed on the side, but Geax on the moulding!

househusband

Another vote for the Saguaro! Disproportionate traction from a tyre so fast, been using them for years on 26″ and now 650b/27.5 or whatever it is I’m supposed to call it…

cookeaa

I too picked up a pair of Lobo Loco for £3.99 on a whim, still sat in the tyre pile waiting for me to get round to fitting them… We shall see.

votchy
    Free Member

Ran a pair of Datura TNT last winter, great tyre in mud and on wet roots, run low pressures set up tubeless and they still roll surprisingly well on tarmac, sat in the garage on spare wheels ready to be fitted when the weather turns.

CM/Smorg combo dont suit me when it gets muddy as they are very skittish in the wet, also found them very pressure dependent in the dry, couple of psi difference and they go from grippy and able to wrap around roots/rocks etc to pinging off everything, also if run too low psi I have burped both off the rims, great at the right psi tho

Just ordered a pair of the gato’s to try on their own or combined with a datura.

alexh
    Free Member

Stick to the tnt versions. I holed a none tnt sagauro on the second ride. Tht versions seem very tough.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Geax and On One tyre recommendations’ is closed to new replies.