Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Gears will not shift into Smallest Rear Cog
  • kwack
    Free Member

Hi,

Just trf across all my stuff to a new frame. The gears change fine actoss the full range apart from when I try to get it into the smallest rear cog.

I m running a 2×9 setup (Raceface) with xtr shifters and rear mech. I know its not the shifters or rear mech as they worked fine last week on another frame

I have checked
    1) The rear mech alignment screws they look fine
    2) The cable tension and shifting between the cog all work fine
    3) The h/L screws are set correctly
    4) The hanger looks fine as well

The only thing I can think is maybe a tight link where I connected the chain? but wouldn’t this happen on all cogs or maybe too much outer cable loop?

Any ideas I have read copious websites and maybe I just need to start from scratch again

Cheers
    Kwack

timbur
    Free Member

Undo the rear mech cable and twiddle the screw until it’s right. You can’t do it by eye 100% accurately IMHO.

Or try checking the rear mech hanger with a DAG tool. It might be bent. Again, not always obvious to the naked eye.

oldnpastit

+1 for bent hangar.
    Also check the cable for the rear mech is routed correctly. RTFM.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iain1775
    Free Member

Had this myself yesterday after fitting 1×10 shadow+ rear mech
    (My hanger is slightly bent btw)
    Turned out to be too much tension in the cable, slackened it off a bit, adjusted H screw and all fine now shifts to all 10 sprockets

brant
    Free Member

SRAM mechs are beginning to not play nicely with the 6mm thick steel dropouts we use on the on one steel frames.
    Minimum dropout width is 7mm to keep to spec.
    Adding a single pedal washer behind the rear mech to move it out from the frame fixes this.
    Shimano have no such foibles.

scaredypants

dirty cables ?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks Brant, I have this issue with a Blue Pig, I’ll try your fix

FOG

I had this with a Shimano rear mech. Turned out the mech was partially seized near the lower limit of its spread. Very confusing as it appeared to move freely and it was only with careful comparison to another mech did I realise that there wasn’t full movement.

kwack
    Free Member

I checked all of the above and I dont think it is any of it.. The chainline does look like its at a quite extreme angle.

When I built the Enduro up I took off the parts from my Pitch and carried them across as is, so same bb parts with spacers etc.

Wonder whether it is this which is causing this?

matther01
    Free Member

I have the opposite…cant get into the big cog!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Chainline won’t affect it.

The only thing that does id whether the mech moves out enough, so its either cable tension, bent hanger, limit screw or something else limiting the motion (like corrosion)

kwack
    Free Member

Let me quantify as I may have misled…it does actually go into the small cog but as you rotate the cranks it seems to want to go back up one cog

I have disconnected the cable and rotate the cranks it still does it so it cant be the cable tension…I have moved the hl screws and it still does it until it comes off the frame completely. .the hangar looks fine..I could try swapping it over eith another hangar that I have to discount the hangar

Other than that any ideas…try another mech maybe?

I don’t want to go up the shop yet until exhausted all options

Cheers
    Kwack

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I had this on a full sus frame with deep chainstays.

The top outside of the mech cage was catching the inside of the chainstay stopping the mech moving over enough.

A bit more tension in the b tension screw solved it.

spikyjames
    Free Member

Start from scratch, undo the cable and check the limit of movement (limit screw settings) by hand. This will at least ensure you know it can actually achieve the full range of movement.

Before you re attach the cable ensure your barrel adjusters are completely screwed in, attach the cable and re index, oh and make sure you lubricate the cables as well.

This might help;

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Gears will not shift into Smallest Rear Cog’ is closed to new replies.