Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Gears slipping, any other culprit than cassette?
  • nickdavies

Starting to get a lot of slip in the middle gears when putting the power down uphill – cassette looks pretty good though.
    It’s about 750km old max and the chain was replaced 250km ago, change them at .5 on the checker. Normally the skipping starts when you change the chain but this has only just started?

Can chain length cause it? It’s running at 2 1/2 links longer than big to front ring as that was the best option rather than 1.5 links longer.

Front ring is a works N/W with probably around 1000km on. XT cassette and SRAM chain.

jonk

is the NW clean? Mine gets gunked up easily and skips a bit when riding

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

sometimes it can happen if the jockey wheels are like needles too. Or the chain is the wrong way round (if directional)

matt_outandabout

Bent mech hanger / mech?

z1ppy

Again had what looked like reasonable jockey wheels cause issues on a bike where all the rest of the drive train was new. Not something I’d normally expect to cause that kind of problem though

nickdavies

Mech is same age as chain, NW is clean. Mech’s not had an impact and the bike’s quite new so i’m going to discount that for the moment.
    Gonna just change the cassette and hope it’s that. It’s hardly worth worrying bout given I’ve just paid CRC £21 for a 10spd XT cassette!
    😯

Suggsey
    Free Member

Freehub slipping? Can give same feeling as chainslip!

dantsw13

Check tightness of the mech hangar – I’ve had this give similar symptoms.

nickdavies

Good shout, i checked all the mech bolts and the main hanger bolt but the little secondary bolt on the hanger was loose so tightened that, and 2 of the chainring bolts were mega loose and the other 2 were a 1/4 turn from tight. See if that cures it tomorrow night! Going to hope it’s not the free hub..

Suggsey
    Free Member

No from the sounds of all that loose stuff that would be enough to cause it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Gears slipping, any other culprit than cassette?’ is closed to new replies.