Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Gears shifting fine, except two
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Running 3×9. The chain goes up and down the cassette just great except for one particular change in both directions. What’s going on?

Cassette borked? Rear mech tired??

Mackem

Cable tension would be my first guess.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Which particular change?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mech wear or cable contamination.

cakefest
    Free Member

new cables fitted this morning, problem happened this evening.

changing from 1-2 (1 being 34t low). sometimes goes up to 2 ok, but sometimes misses 2 after clicking, then goes from 1 to 3 for next shifter click.

coatesy
    Free Member

I’d get your hanger checked for alignment too, poor shifting at one end of the block is a classic symptom.

somafunk

I’d second coatesy on this one – every bike i get in for servicing gets a check over with the Mech alignment tool before i do anything to the drivetrain/gears – i’d say at least 25% have bent mech hangers of some description.

stumpy01

Limit screw not set correctly, so the jockey wheel is too far inboard of the 34T cog (even slightly).

Perhaps not explained very well.

Looking from behind bike towards front with rear mech in 34T position, if the jockey wheel sits left of centre line of the 34T cog (even slightly), sometimes a shift to cog 2 won’t actually result in a shift.

rOcKeTdOg

Yep, cable trouble, straight thru run or interrupted? Latter is more prone to contamination

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Gears shifting fine, except two’ is closed to new replies.