Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Gearing – what to change
  • Xylene
    Free Member

I realised today that the only time I used the big front small rear is going down the final hill to the house.

The bike is over geared for what I need around here – 50/34 11-28

The groupset on it is SRAM Apex

Can I drop some teeth at the front, and go up to a 11-32 on the rear?

Any suggestions on what size rings to change to.

There are a few hills around here that 34-28 makes me want to puke on. Will the Apex rear mech shift onto a 32 rear or not?

On a separate note – it feels as if my current stem is just a bit too long for me, comfortable grip is about 15mm back from the hoods – do I just want to get a stem 15mm shorter or is there a magic formula? I’ve got silly long legs and a short body.

whitestone
    Free Member

On the assumption that your saddle is correctly positioned then the top bar of your handlebars should “hide” the front hub when in your normal riding position. For me, my normal position is on the hoods.

Where’s here? In the Dales 50/34 and 11-28 is more than enough even for the steep stuff like Park Rash. Could be worse – my first decent road bike was 52/42 and a 12-24 six speed block, you certainly knew about the hills in the Lakes on that! The rear mech should be fine on the 11-32.

drewd

I’ve got the same gearing, all be it with Sora on my Charge Plug, and I have found that I don’t use the big ring as much as I thought I would. In all honesty I preferred the triple chainset on the Triban 3 as there was less of a jump between the front rings, and most things could be tackled in the middle 39 tooth ring.

It’s an expensive route, but have you considered a triple? Adding a larger cassette would give you a lower gear, but the gaps between ratios would increase too. A tripple would give you lower gears with the 30 tooth inner, and smaller jumps at the back.

Thst said I intend to leave mine as is and get fitter, perhaps I will try a 48 tooth big ring at some point.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Xylene
    Free Member

Front hub hidden, just feels a bit too long, I had thought known about the bars hiding the hub thing.

My arms are locked out when on the hoods.

Fitness may, is, playing a part in the gearing. The climbing around here is just constant, run keeper tells me I did 1400m of climbing this morning, none particularly steep, just constant, although one hill was get up out of the seat, an extra gear change would have saved that.

whitestone
    Free Member

Arms shouldn’t be locked out, sounds like the bike may be a bit big or it isn’t set up for you. Upper torso should be relaxed.

Without knowing more info it’s hard to offer precise help. How used to road biking are you? The body position can feel cramped if you aren’t used to it.

Xylene
    Free Member

Getting used to the road riding position, drops are a lot more comfortable with some recent tweaks.

Just the reach feels a bit off, on the hoods, legs feel great since I move the seat forward a little bit, had it too far back before and was getting knee pain, which has now stopped.

I blame my freakish long legs.

Local shop is decent, and I did spot one of those professional bike fitters the other day out here, so may drop him a line as well.

thomthumb
    Free Member

You can’t get a 33 inner but I doubt you’ll notice 1 tooth. Or a triple ( or super compact) or change he cassette 11-30 or 11-32 are the options I think.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Gearing – what to change’ is closed to new replies.