Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • gearing for my new el guapo….
  • oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Ok, so I’m going to be swapping all my components onto the el guapo frame which is on its way…

not sure on gearing… I’d like to de-clutter and go 1×10 but not sure….

I’m 2×10 11-36 rear, 26, 38 front at present. Although I have been known to use the granny and 36, its really not very often and I’d question wether I’d need to be/could just be walking…

I have a long cage XT clutch mech, and 2013 xt double cranks… what do people do with spacing when converting double cranks to single ring?

The other thing is chain retention… didn’t have a big issue on the old Blur LT dropping chains with the old setup, but I’d need at least a top guide if I went 1×10 right? will the longer travel of the el guapo mean I’d need a guide to stay 2×10?

If I run a 30 or 32 front ring, I’m losing very few gear I actually currently use…

on a 30 front ring, It the top end of gearing It would be like just losing my 36 off the back and a load of low gears I never use as I never ride on the road. anyone else run similar?

I dont want to spend money on a double chain guide if I’ll end up needing a single or vice versa…. what are poeple running with their clutch rear mech’s and why?

The other interesting one is these posh front chainrings like the xx1’s… but not sure if they come in 30t, or if that and a clutch mech are enough to keep the chain on in the real world…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well personally speaking, i’m going for a 32T single front ring on my EG- one of the raceface narrow/wide single specific ones and no guide at first as i’ve seen various people say their chain stays on fine without one whilst using these kind of chainrings. and you can get 30T ones too. I’ve got a medium cage SLX clutch mech though, dunno if your long cage will make things different for you.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

well personally speaking, i’m going for a 32T single front ring on my EG- one of the raceface narrow/wide single specific ones and no guide at first as i’ve seen various people say their chain stays on fine without one whilst using these kind of chainrings. and you can get 30T ones too. I’ve got a medium cage SLX clutch mech though, dunno if your long cage will make things different for you.

sounds interesting. no special chain needed for these rings then. anyone else have opinion on just running a clutch mech and no guide with rings like this?

30 or 32 is the next question if these stack up…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crankrider
    Free Member

I sound like some kind of ambassador for these things the way i keep banging on about them but the thick / thin – narrow / wide whatever rings are awesome.

Got one from here: http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/works-components-104bcd-thick–thin-chainring-alternating-thickness-extended-tooth-design-270-p.asp

For £35 its cheaper than many ‘standard’ rings so a no-brainer really!

Chain has stayed on since fitting months ago 🙂

Go raceface if you want pretty colours and dont mind a little more coin.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

anyone have any other opinions of these rings without other retention (apart from the clutch mech… and a front ratio for mixed trail centre (llandegla and cannock regular haunts) and the odd uplift day, and the odd xc epic…,

at the moment im leaning towards 30t but think I should perhaps man up as 32 may be a better balance…

any rings better longevity wise than any other…

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i have an el guapo and am awaiting the delivery of a general lee cassette adapter to convert mine from 2×10 to 1×10…. i’ve also got a clutch mech and a works 32T chainring… i don’t have the legs to make an 11-36 cassette do the trick for me, but with the general lee i’ll be fine. (i much prefer the look & simplicity of a 1x system) a 30T chainring wouldn’t be enough for the higher gears i fear, so my way is what’s right for me (if that makes sense?)

i have a hardtial with XX1 and the above is a far cheaper way of doing it on the EG, chain retention with XX1 is phenomenal, no device required at all and utterly silent…

can’t give you a review of the EG with the above setup just yet, but fingers crossed i should have it on this weekend.

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

A general lee with a 34 front would be spot on for me, but its a lot of money really!

I think its just mtfu time! Can always put double back on if it doesn’t work…
    Will I spin out 30t is the question…

Will a long cage be ok on such a small ratio also?

DrP

personally, on a 26″ bike, I’d go either 32 or 34…
    I’ve gone 34 myself (11-36 cassette) as even my lowest gear of 34:36 is MUCH lower than my SS (32:16), on which I can manage everything I’d want to be riding… (mostly….)

DrP

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

I’m going to hit cannock tomorrow morning and ban myself from the gears i’ll lose at 32t and see what happens… although I’ll be on my blur LT which will climb better than the el guapo… it will give me an idea!

everyone happy with works components rings? or is the raceface (or a-n other) worth the £5 or so extra?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’m sure functionality is more or less the same, i’m going with the raceface one for purely superficial/cosmetic reasons!

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Well nowhere has any kind of 30t thick/thin ring in stock anywhere, so I’ve ordered a 32 works components ring and will aim to grow some legs! lol

robgclarkson
    Free Member

works is the way forward… buy british!!! 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘gearing for my new el guapo….’ is closed to new replies.