• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by dst.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Gearing changes following C2C – Advice required please
  • dst
    Free Member

I thought I would pose this question on here so the STW collective could give some sage advice.

I have just completed the C2C (the road one) on my Tricross . I managed to ride everything but only just, the climb out of Rookhope nearly giving me a coronary.

I am fairly lardy and was carrying all my kit in panniers. Current set up is a double with 48 / 34 up front and a 12 – 27 cassette when the hills got really steep I felt that I needed a granny ring just to let my cadence up. Then I had another thought…….

The rear mech meeds replacing anyway, so if I put on something with a longer cage on (XT perhaps) could I run a MTB cassette say 11-34 or 11-36?

Will that work or am I mad?
    Is there a good website that explains all this stuff?
    How do I work out what Cage length (medium or Long) required?

Any answers appreciated

My son says I should just ‘Man-up’!

Dave

neil853
    Free Member

I did the same route on my Boardman CX Pro but didn’t have panniers on. I did it in two days and stayed in a B&B. I didn’t struggle with gearing but that could be down to the difference in weight we were carrying.

To answer your question though yes that’ll work. You’ll need a long cage mech as its got to take the chain on very small gears and the larger cogs. Any mtb long(er) cage mech will do

cynic-al
    Free Member

Should work, I’d have thought you’d need a long cage mech and a new chain.

But are you going to need such low gears again?

dst
    Free Member

Thanks Gents

I think I will do it, or something similar again.

Re the weight, I am 15 stone and not sure of the Pannier weight but I had 30 litres loaded up with clothes etc. I also used B@B but took three days.

I am not fit enough (yet) to do it in two!

dst
    Free Member

Subsequently found this and thought it was good

[/url]

simon1975

How about another crankset for touring? A 26/36 double perhaps? Should be possible if you can move your front mech down a bit…

I did that C2C recently and dropped down a chainring size in preparation for some loaded climbing.

TomB

my road bike got an xt mech and 34 tooth cassette (52/39 chainset)on it when I moved to the lakes, worked fine, big jumps but gives you the low gearing you’re after.

dst
    Free Member

Thanks all

zilog6128

I did this last week to the CX bike I use for my commute (compact chainset). I used a 9 spd Deore mech, 11-36 cassette & a new chain (didn’t actually measure the old one to see if I could reuse theat but thought it best with a new cassette).

I had been meaning to do it for ages (and I now wish I had since it works perfectly!) Hills are now a breeze if I am feeling lazy & slow (even with loaded panniers).

As well as the extra low gears I suppose I now have one slightly bigger gear as well! Definitely worth the slight extra weight IMHO.

dst
    Free Member

Thanks zilog.

I am going to do it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Gearing changes following C2C – Advice required please’ is closed to new replies.