Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Gearing Advice needed
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Just back from a ride out this morning on my Cannondale CAADX, now I know I’m nowhere near as fit as I was but really struggling on the climbs here( Mourne Mountains). The CAADX has a 105 11-28 cassette and a 46/36 crankset. Would a simple cassette change to 11-32 make a huge difference or are there better/cheaper alternatives.
    What would you do?

downhillfast
    Free Member

It’s either change the cassette, or change the chainring(s).

Chainring is probably cheaper, depends if your front mech will cope with the teeth gap between say a 34 or 32T and the 46T, check, but it might be ok.

I use the “GearCalculator” Android app to compare gear ratios, so try that with an 11-32 cassette and then with a 34T chainring, see which gives you the better climbing gear.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Tyre size will also affect the gear ratios.

I recently swapped from a 28mm Grand Sport Race to 2.3″ BSC Type1 on the Wazoo rear. I had been running 1×8 with 34/11-30 for just over a year, but the lowest gear was now too much for a local evil climb up Dell Road, which hits ~20%.

I went back to 2×8, refitting the 38T original ring, which then gave me access to the 24T granny ring again. It now means I can actively pedal down ~5% descents for longer and I now have at least three easier climbing gears compared to when I had the 28mm rear fitted.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

You might find the 11-32 cassette fixes your issue, but you may need a longer cage rear mech and you may need to add two complete links to your existing chain.

But your lowest gear will be 36/32, a bit harder than the 34/32 on my road bike, that I usually need to tackle Dell Road and the brutal finish to Harvesting Lane.

fudge9202
    Free Member

That’s what I was thinking, I might need a rear derailleur change and lengthen the chain.

whitestone
    Free Member

My road bike has a 50:34 chainset allied with a 12-28 cassette and is fine for round here (Dales) for me. Basically define “struggle”. I find once things get to 20% you will be out of the saddle and making a big effort no matter what gearing (within reason) you use.

Use Gear calculator to compare setups. After that you need to find out what the capacity is of front and rear mech so you can decide which route to take.

Edit: just ran the two discussed options (cassette or chainring) and you’d be better changing the cassette. Changing the chainring to a 34T gives you the equivalent of just under a 30T at the cassette end.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Steep hills are a struggle. If you want it easy, just get off and walk.

I’d personally get rid of the shitty FSA crank and BB30 bearings and install a compact chainset (50/34) with an adapter.

fudge9202
    Free Member

davidtaylforth what exactly would you recommend, no idea about roadie stuff. Bought the bike as easier to cycle from home at moment that drive to mtb trails

slowster
    Free Member

If a 32 tooth cassette and/or 34 tooth inner ring still won’t meet your needs, you could consider a super compact chainset. At the moment there are only a few manufacturers offering these, e.g. FSA and Sugino, and they are extremely expensive (presumably because they are still a fairly niche item with a small market, although I think the potential market is much larger once people realise the benefits of them).

A less expensive way of trying this option is a Spa Super Compact, which is simply a triple chainset on which the outer ring is replaced by a chainguard. It costs £60, but you would also need a square taper bottom bracket (and the necesary tools to change the bottom brackets). You would also need to check that the chainset and rings are compatible with 11 speed. The Spa Super Compact is available with various chainring combinations, including as low as 40/24 (although you would need to check that the front mech would not need to be so low on the seat tube that it would foul the chainstay in the small ring).

I think that if you are using something like the CAADX on off road climbs, the super compact chainset may give a much better range of gears.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s a cross bike, if it’s too steep you jump off and run 🙂

igm

Getting an adapter to fit the CAADX’s stepped BB30a might be interesting.

If you find a decent one let me know.

fudge9202
    Free Member

@img. I believe this is what I need to run a Shimano hollowtech set of cranks

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/cannondale-bb30a/bb30a-adapters/bbright-adapter-for-shimano-cranks.html

Just need to find a UK supplier

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Getting an adapter to fit the CAADX’s stepped BB30a might be interesting.

If you find a decent one let me know.

2017 onwards don’t have a stepped BB. I just use one of these with a SRAM GXP chainset, works fine, no creaking as of yet.

https://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/components/bb30-to-sram-gxp-o22-24-bottom-bracket.html

igm

I’ve got a a 2017 – it has a stepped BB shell. The metal is thicker where the gear cable guide is screwed in from the outside.
    That said if your recommendation fits I’m interested.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Same here can you run Shimano cranks with that adapter

igm

Does it work with the wider BB30a as well as BB30, and can you run road cranks not MTB cranks?

senorj

I changed from 28 on the back(cx/gravel bike)to 30 and it’s better for me.
    If I rode anywhere with proper hills I’d happily have 32 teeth.:-)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve got a a 2017 – it has a stepped BB shell. The metal is thicker where the gear cable guide is screwed in from the outside

Does it? Pretty sure I didn’t see a step in the shell when I took the old chainset out…… It’s this model below.

As you can see, it works with GXP cranks, no spacers/washers or anything required.

If BB30A is wider, then road cranks won’t work, you’d have to use MTB cranks.

igm

That’s a model year 2018 looking at the cable routing – available from late 2017

Edit: it’s still 2017 isn’t it? I’m going mad. I’ve got a 2016 and that’s a 2017

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No, it’s a 2017. The 2018 model is red

igm

Sorry. See edit.

fudge9202
    Free Member

This is doing my head in
    Here’s mine it’s suppose to be a2017 CAADX 105

igm

Internal routing = 2017 on

I think. I wouldn’t listen to me though

fudge9202
    Free Member

@davidtaylforth what mudguards please?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Internal routing = 2017 on

Yes.

@davidtaylforth what mudguards please?

Radial Cycles. Would probably not recommend though

igm

Hmmm. Just got the tape measure out.

The manual might say BB30a. The tape measure says 68mm.

I’m going to to look into those adapters.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The manual might say BB30a

CAAD10 is bb30a, but not the CAADX

igm

So it would appear.

I’m not doing well on this thread am I.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Nor me 🙁 Istarted out struggling to climb with my gears now my head hurts!!!

fifeandy
    Free Member

I think FSA do a new subcompact (48/32 iirc) may well be a direct swap.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Yes but struggling to find one

simondbarnes

Fitting a 32t cassette will give you a slightly lower gear than fitting a subcompact chainset. You may or may not need a new rear mech but you should be able to sell the old one easily enough.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Yea think that’s the way to go. I’ll buy an 11-32 cassette and see how it goes

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

doubt you’ll need a new mech if you keep the 36/46 up front.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Hope your right I could do with making it a cheap change

mattsccm
    Free Member

A mate has the same bike with same issue. He bunged on a 34 chain ring. Mech fine as a 50 outer is normal. We then tried a 32t casssette. In theory no but with the b screw in its fine. No big to big cross over advised but thats for dim wits anyway. No chain length adjusting needed.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Matt cheers for that just a couple of parts and a bit of tinkering

Many Thanks Everyone

antigee

fifeandy – Member
    I think FSA do a new subcompact (48/32 iirc) may well be a direct swap.

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST
    fudge9202 – Member
    Yes but struggling to find one

only seen them on new bikes don’t seem to be available to actually buy even looking at some of the co’s that regularly sell stuff intended for new build?

anybody bought one?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Gearing Advice needed’ is closed to new replies.