Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Gear ratios
  • ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I know this will have been asked already by someone but I’m trying to figure out what gearing to go for on my 1×10.

I currently have a 34t upfront with a 11-36 but the 34/36 is to big for the long climbs so I’m thinking of going 30 or 32 upfront and getting a 40t to help with the climbing. The 34 is fine when out for an hour or two with little climbing but anything with significant climbing or 2hrs+ then it quickly becomes a pain in the backside and I end up having to push most of the climbs.

So would I need a 40 if I go 30 upfront or is 30/36 geared enough that I can get a decent cadence going for the long draggy climbs? Or is 32 with the 40 better whilst giving me the comfort that I’m not going to spin out in the higher gears?

flyingmonkeycorps

Personally I find a 30t up front with an 11-36 at the back gives me all the range I need. There’s still the odd hill I can’t get up, but most of those I couldn’t get up with a granny either. I only ever seem to spin out on fast, gentle fireroad or road descents and who cares about them?

Conan257
    Free Member

I’m in a similar bing, and my thought process *might* help.

I was running 22/32 on 11-34 which did me for everything (not amazingly fit). But had the opportunity for an upgrade and ended up running 28/42 on 12-36… Quite a difference and I can’t spin how I want to on climbs.

3 options. Larger cassette, smaller chainring, or 1×10 with larger cassette.

Can’t do a smaller chainring without needing a new rear mech as the gear jumps will be too big.

Install a 40t cassette expander and go to a 30t chainring. This gives me a slightly lower ratio 1st gear than I had before (0.7 vs the previous 0.64). So would probably do the job. However, cost incurred is about £50 for a cog and £50 for a spiderless chainring (SRAM cranks)

Finally, the option I’m going for, at least initially. Keep the chainset 28/42. Add a 40t Hope T-Rex on the back which gives me the same 1st gear I had before the change, but still allows me the same at the other end. Total outlay about £50. (Plus new chain since the old one is too short).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Gear ratios’ is closed to new replies.