Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Gear ratio question
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

I ordered a 10 speed XT cassette for my 29er from Halfords (less than £26 with all the discounts). However! There was no size choice and the pic showed an 11:36t cassette, so I assumed that’s what I would be getting!! However! I have received a 11:32t cassette. I need my bike for Sunday’s Scott MTB Marathon in Wales, hence the question. I have a 39/27 chainset up front, in the real world would I actually notice a difference?

benpinnick

Yes you would notice… unless your fit. You’ve lost over 10% on the lowest ratio. 27 is a big small ring for a 29er anyway (22 or 24 would be more common), and then thats paired with a 32 cassette – makes for a big smallest gear. That said, I ran 34/34 for the longest time without a problem, which is much bigger than your gearing…

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Can you not just return it to Halfords (when you get the chance) and buy the correct version before tomorrow ?

I don’t know much about that event, but it’s possible there are some bike component retailers running stalls, and you might be able to buy a 11-36 there ? The event organisers should know which traders are turning up, and if it’s a bike shop, you could phone them today.

Considering it’s a marathon, 27×32 might hurt a bit on a 29er. However, when you’re that knackered after many hours riding, don’t forget that getting off and pushing up steep hills isn’t necessarily any slower. It depends how much climbing there is though….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Gear ratio question’ is closed to new replies.