Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Gear question
  • kendo954
    Free Member

Running 2 x 9 at the minute but its gonna need replaced soon so thinking of going 1 x 10

Question is what set up would get me closest to my current gearing?

I’m on 32 /24 front and 11/32 cassette

I’m thinking of 30 front and 11/36 rear (orange alpine)

90% of my riding I can do without touching the small ring on my current set up, but very steep or technical climbs I would have to drop it down

No real idea of gear ratios so any advice would be great

bencooper
    Free Member

My free gear calculation software:

K-Gear Software

Bung in what you’ve got now, then mess about with ratios 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You need to think about what part of your current gear range you use the most and bias it towards that. I went 1×10 from 2×10 when I realised I only used my larger ring very rarely (quite hilly where I live) so ditched it and replaced it for a bashguard. When I eventually replaced my chainring (to go thick/thin) I went from a 24t to a 28t, which took a bit if effort initially on the steeper climbs where I noticed the extra 4 teeth, but now I reckon I could probably go to 30t up front. On a few occasions I could use a higher cleared cog or two out the back, but rarely.

If you’re on 26″ wheels then your 30/11-36 is roughly equivalent to mine – 28/11-36 on a 29er. So doable for the majority of what the uk can throw at you.

kendo954
    Free Member

cheers

looks like 30 11/36 wont be a million miles away from what im running

ill go with an xt shadow plus so iv the backup should i ever need to fit a granny ring!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Gear question’ is closed to new replies.