Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • gear outers
  • HansRey

hi,

i'm looking at buying a new set, to last and reduce maintanance. I've looked at the Gore Ride On gear set. They're not cheap, but i've heard good things about how well sealed they are.

what are your opinions on the…
    goodridge gear kit (£23 at crc)
    transfil mudlovers (£20 crc)
    xtr gear cable set (£18 crc)

is the shifting quality really noticeable compared to a cheaper shimano job? I presume so (prestreching, lack of contaminant, higher quality steel, lower c.o. sliding friction), but i've only ever had bog standard cables…

cheers,
    HR

tthew

Transfil mud lovers here. Not been on long, but brill so far. The intermediate layer is full length, which the inner layer slides in so I'm expecting them to be as good as the previous full length outer set up.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I used to buy XTR gear cable sets but found that there often wasn't enough outer to do a FS bike. I bought a 10m roll of XTR outer and now make cable sets up as required without the waste (far cheaper too).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dobo
    Free Member

as dibbs, the gear kits i've bought have never enough cable or conecting bits. if your going xtr full outer then you will need to buy 5-10m from starbike or parker.

no need for full outers with xtr sp41, mines running fine as normal for a year on the race bike.

if setup right shifting quality should be as good on all the cables

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I've only used XTR stuff from a kit (for a HT) and it comes with all the ferrules(?), boots and tongues. Had enough for my HT.

Never had a cable problem since. No immediate difference from new cheap calbles but I think the difference is that they stay working well for longer.

HansRey

yeah, i'd like to invest my money now at an early stage, to save time on maintenance. For example, whatever came with my merlin are a p.i.t.a due to stretching (i guess i should stop changing gears!)

it will be going on a marin quake, so i'm a little wary about buying a kit now. I'll re-measure tonight. So for, it's still the gore kit, although the shimano is close behind.

i'm appreciating the help so far everyone,

HR

fbk
    Free Member

10m roll of SP41 outer here too (from Wiggle). Just cut what you want and no waste.

Taff
    Free Member

Didn't Clarks make a decent set? Just look on CRC but couldn't see anything of the sort. Did see middleburn widgets though… thought they stopped making those around the same time as DCDs died

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘gear outers’ is closed to new replies.