Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Gear oil instead of Fox Float Fluid for rear shock
  • jambonsambo
    Free Member

Hi ,

I read a few older posts on here discussing what could be used as a substitute for the blue fox float fluid that comes in the pillow packs .

The postage to where I am makes FFF too pricey so going on what I read I pixed up a bottle of 75w -90 semi synthetic gear oil in a car shop for a few quid . Just wanted to ask here that it’s similar enough to the Fox stuff so that I can use it to freshen up an rp23 , couldn’t find fully synthetic so hoping semi will do .

Thanks ,
    J

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The postage to where I am makes FFF too pricey

Cheaper than new forks (or seals) though I’d venture…

Afaik if you’re just using it for lubrication weight/make-up shouldn’t matter over much in terms of function.

Where make-up does matter though is you may find it doesn’t play nicely with your seals and ruins those. I would guess that “synthetic” or otherwise isn’t really enough info to go on to make that sort of judgement though. Did same auto shop not have motorbike fork oil? Pure guess work tells me this would be a better choice.

benpinnick

Its probably fine. RockShox use engine oil in their shocks…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just get a bunch sent at once? How far off the grid are you that fox don’t have a distributor near by?

alric
    Free Member

I’m just doing mine with the 75w90 semi synthetic gear oil

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve always used Castrol 90wt gear oil in my shocks and for foam rings in forks. Not had a problem so far.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Gear oil instead of Fox Float Fluid for rear shock’ is closed to new replies.