Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Gear inches/Singlespeed
  • MountainMutant
    Free Member

I am running a 44/16 set up on my singlespeed commuter which I find is pretty good but a bit spinny in places (10 mile each way London commute).

I put a 14t cog on the back today and although good fast fun in places my knees are going to burst if I keep it on and God forbid a windy day!

The jump is too big. Will a 15t be a good compromise or is that still a bit of a big gear to push? Wiggle say they are all discontinued (£3) and On One sell them for £16 so a bit of a pricey mistake if it is!

Any links to a cheaper 15t cog?

ta

MM

BoardinBob

44/16 was a bit spinny? 😯 Is your commute totally flat?

44/16 was killing my knees so I converted to 32/16 at the weekend.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

it is reasonably flat but quite a few draggy inclines. I have legs of steel ;)….not 44/14 steel though!

Commuter is on 700/23 wheel and tyre combo if that makes any difference.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thomthumb
    Free Member

gear choice is quite a personal thing, and will always be a compromise.

15T 10.99 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17775

probably cheaper version on ebay too.

amedias
    Free Member

why not try 46/16 or 42/14, both will give you an ‘inbetweeny’ gear like you seem to be after.

or is it a case of rear cogs cheaper than chainrings?

amedias
    Free Member

FWIW I’m running 48:16 and it’s perfect for my commute, but it totally depends on your legs, your commute, your pedalling style etc.

fu_manchu
    Free Member

Assuming a 26″ wheel, the following table will let you play around with gear inches, you are adding 14% by going from a 16 to a 14 so its quite a jump.

Gear Table

So as recommended, looking at changing the chainring will give you a closer step increase.

john_l
    Free Member

just spin faster?

wellhung
    Free Member

i run 48/17 on my singlespeed roadie bike although i do find it difficult when it gets lumpy

crazy-legs

just spin faster?

If he’s having trouble even turning that gear, how is he going to be able to spin it?!

I’d change the chainring TBH, go for a 46/16.
    My Langster (again 700c wheel) came with a 48/16 set up and that was pretty much spot on but I eventually changed to a 17T freewheel as it gives me just that fraction more leeway on hills/headwinds now.

In calculating ratios by the way, one tooth on a freewheel is roughly equivalent to 2.3T on a chainring.

igm

Assuming DX will fit just spend the £2.70 and try it – JFDI

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies and links.

I have ordered a 15t onza ring with bling spacers from Wooley hat shop so hopefully that will be a good compromise.

The Shimano DX sprocket has a £3.99 delivery charge for a £2.70 item!

I don’t want to change the front chainring as they cost a bomb on an XTR crank.

Thanks

MM

igm

Ahh… didn’t check that

samuri
    Free Member

44/16 was a bit spinny? [8O] Is your commute totally flat?

It’s a London commute. 😉

44/16 is certainly a bit spinny as far as I’m concerned on a mountain bike. It’d be just about right on a 700c wheeled bike, maybe a little bit quick if it’s flat.

orange
    Free Member
    chunkypaul
    Free Member

44/16 = 72 gear inches

44/14 = 82 gear inches

44/15 = 77 gear inches

46/16 = 75 gear inches

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Samuri, it is a 700cc wheeled bike (Roadrat).

Thanks Chunky Paul. Not that that means much to me in way of pedalling feel but I can see it should be a good middle ground.

MM

john_l
    Free Member

If he’s having trouble even turning that gear, how is he going to be able to spin it?!

he said he’s finding it a bit spinny in places?

I am running a 44/16 set up on my singlespeed commuter which I find is pretty good but a bit spinny in places

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Gear inches/Singlespeed’ is closed to new replies.