Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Gear cable recommendations please.
  • diz

I want to replace the gear cables on my wife’s bike, I’ve always used Gore ride on cables or Shimano XT! Does anybody have any other suggestions for smooth trouble free shifting?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

SP41 outer, Shimano inner, cablemagic lube.

bigyinn
    Free Member

^^ +1
    Also use either Shimano sealed ferrules and / or full length outers.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup SP41 + the o-ring ferrules

scotroutes

SP41 unless you want some bling, in which case Jagwire seems to work well.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Stainless steel inner cable is far superior to the standard galvanised stuff. Shimano outers are good but I find most stuff is OK.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Shimano Teflon coated cables are also recommended.

weeksy

10 cables for £4.00 on ebay for my inners… do the job perfectly well 🙂 Full length outers of whatever I have to hand.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

I use anything with a smear ov petroleum jelly rubbed into any open ends .

scotroutes

And gear cables?

medoramas
    Free Member

You can find the whole set of XTR cables on eBay for just over a tenner. Inners, outers, ends, ferrules, sealing hoods…

I does come with pre-cut outers though!

globalti
    Free Member

Another vote for Shimano SS inners, which are more flexible and shiny than standard shop cables from the big box. I actually polish mine then wax them lightly with Mr Sheen rubbed along them before I fit because the fully-hidden rear gear cable on my roadie is awkwardly routed and shifts poorly. I also waterproof the outer cable ends at the rear derailleur with lanolin or petroleum jelly to keep out the damp, which rusts the ends and cruds everything up causing poor shifting. This treatment seems to have improved matters, for the summer at least.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Sp41 outer…BUT, use 1.1mm inners rather than most which are 1.2mm, and enjoy the lightest most durable shifting you ever imagined. Really, it’s hugely bettererer

globalti
    Free Member

Where do you buy 1.1mm inner cables?

fooman

Sp41 but with Jagwire Slick & Stainless cable, these have gone through a smoothing die. I don’t like coated cables seems to come off after a while.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Just google it, there are a few places. And make sure it’s full length outers you use. My current cable on the trail bike must be the same on from last autumn and it shifts like the day i fitted it

binners

Transfil Mudlovers

Same as the Gore Ride Ons. Half the price.

poah
    Free Member

uberbike ones for me

Gunz
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter much as long as you pop some Middleburn cable oilers on there, they’ll last and shift smoothly for ever.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Best thing about sp41 and 1.1mm is each end will cost about £5, no need for anything else and it really does last a long time. I’ve tried various cable kits in the past and nothing comes close to this beautifully simplistic combination. No need for cable oilers as no crud or water gets in there in the first place.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

SP41 and KCNC inners.

If feels tight for a few rides then loosens up nicely.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Gear cable recommendations please.’ is closed to new replies.