Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Gear cable outer
  • pugster007
    Free Member

I’m looking to buy 6m of black Shimano cable outer, not many places seem to have it in stock.

Any ideas / recommendations ?

I have bought cheap from e bay before and it just rubs through ….

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Genuine Shimano outer is a rip off for what it is, so most places buy alternatives, I know I do.
    30m costs less than 10m of Shimano & I don’t have any problems with it.

druidh
    Free Member

Any decent bike shop will have rolls of it.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Any decent bike shop will have rolls of it.

Not always genuine Shimano though,
    Most of the shops around here have swapped to alternatives such as Jagwire/bike own brands or unbranded because of the price difference.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

MTB Direct have always been good for me.

z1ppy

Parkers international

Edit: sneaky edit, before I saw post below..

matthew_h
    Free Member
    coatesy
    Free Member

Also worth spending the extra few quid on some SP4 sealed end caps to keep the dirt out, and maybe going full length outer too.We also stock cheap outer, but don’t even consider using it on decent bikes, or anything with convoluted cable routing a la Lapierre etc.

boblo
    Free Member

Dim question; SP41 is advertised as gear and brake outer in that Parkers link. I thought gear and brake outer were different in that the latter is designed to resist compression more to avoid ‘mushy’ braking.

Is there a dedicated Shitmano brake outer these days?

scaredypants

I think that brake outer USED to be different because there was a danger of terminal failure of gear cable due to higher forces exerted when braking

I’m not sure that this has changed

I don’t see that ad suggesting both – I think Parkers have a section of their site called “cable – brake & gear” under which they sell both types
    (mind, when I was in the US a shop tried to sell me gear outer for my brake and insisted it was the same stuff so maybe it now is. I went elsewhere and got normal, coiled brake outer)

I started a thread about brake outer a bit ago here but nobody seemed to know much about shimano’s range

scaredypants

(I ended up buying some of this from the US – found it via mtbr I think. It’s the jagwire stuff that I used to get in the UK (on-one I think used to sell it by the metre) but now can’t find it anywhere under the jagwire brand

pugster007
    Free Member

Thanks for the posts, went with MTB Direct.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Gear cable outer’ is closed to new replies.