Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gear cable ‘end stops’ – what could I use?
  • hora
    Free Member

Not sure what their technical name is. I guess any bike builder worth their salt will know the name 😐 …but finished rebuilding my resprayed Chameleon and don’t have any cable end stops to press on- what quick fix could I use? Brown parcel tape wont work – what else could I use? Melted candle wax?!!!

grumm
    Free Member

‘spoke heads’ 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

superglue is what weight weenie XC racers use I hear

snotrag

Superglue or a blob of solder.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Chill your boots and buy some on monday.

grumm
    Free Member

I tried superglue – didn’t work very well. May have been my cack-handedness though.

hora
    Free Member

Chill my boots? Kidding me right? I affixed the new Santa Cruz graphics this morning, built up and it looks STUNNING. It NEEDS riding ASAP. I’m sooooo tempted to ride round the block but no I’ll comback with frayed gear cables (like in the past!). right, I have superglue 😀

hora
    Free Member

grumm- was thinking about that. I’ll use a tiny bit of paper then blob the glue inside

TheSwede
    Free Member

Normal sellotape will do a very temporary job.

Kahurangi

solder didn’t stick to mine but superglue did. doesn’t get yanked off like a Cable End Cap and doesn’t get mashed like when you squish a cable end cap on. win.

singlespeedstu

Monkeyspunk or Gorillasnot should do the trick.

rOcKeTdOg

WON’T YOU HAVE SOLD IT ON BY THE TIME YOU GET BACK FROM RIDING AROUND THE BLOCK?

can’t be arsed to edit the caps

gonetothehills
    Free Member

One of them new fangled “’break’ {sic} wire caps” might do the job if you can’t find one designed specifically for gears… that’s assuming you’ve not gone down Grumm’s route of using a ‘spoke head’.

By god there must be more to Saturday nights than this…

😕

biggins
    Free Member

If you read ssss post about Biketreks it seems he may have sveral answers to the question 😀

hora
    Free Member

Since starting this thread I’ve actually BOUGHT AND SOLD 7 OTHER FRAMES M8.
    Can’t be arsed to retype the M8 bit to something classier

mattsccm
    Free Member

got any electrical connectors? dismantle a 3 pin plug. stick a short length of outer to overlap and tape that on.

stealth
    Free Member

I’ve used Electrical crimp on terminals before, they have the added advantage of making people ask stupid questions!! 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Gear cable ‘end stops’ – what could I use?’ is closed to new replies.