Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Gear cable cutting….. Grrrrrrrr
  • BFITH
    Free Member

Got some new cables (clarks premium) had them before and find them a decent quality for the price…. But the outers seem to be made of titanium…. What’s the best method of cutting ( tried a brand new hack saw but to no avail). Do I need expensive cutters or is there any other method of cutting them without going out to the shop????? 😕

crikey
    Free Member

Billy Bodge it methods; Grip it in a pair of pliers and strike pliers with a hammer. Or use a Dremel.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Proper cutters.
    Chisel and hammer.
    Dremel.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cable cutters that have hooked jaws (like Park or Shimano ones) usually do the job very well.
    I got fed up bodging it using the above methods and lashed out on the Shimano ones over 15 years ago. Still cutting as well as they did when new.

ads678

You don’t need exspensive cutters, big guns help though!!

stumpy01

I’d get cable cutters, if you can wait. I got some a while back & they are so easy to use. I think they are either Ice Toolz or Fat Spanner & weren’t expensive. Perhaps £8-10 or so…

chojin
    Free Member

A pair of molgrips to clamp the handles of a pair of pliers.

Works a treat!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got some park tool cutters 7 years ago. Seems to work for me.

jota180
    Free Member

Cheap rope cutters are fine
    Have a look on Amazon for some Draper ones

Promised myself a good pair of cutters for gear cables for years

Best £10 spent on tools. Dont need to be the really expensive ones for the amount if use they get in diy home use

BFITH
    Free Member

Think I may have to invest……I’ll only get cross if I don’t get a nice clean cut! 😈
    Anybody seen any decent offers recently?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

The too best investments i’ve made are my Park Cable Cutters and Chain Tool.

Well worth the money, had them for years.

nicko74

CRC have some reasonable cable cutters – I got something like a £12 pair from there a while back. They work OK; with outers I find you have to kinda half-cut through one way, then rotate them and finish them off, to get a slightly rounder/ less flattened cut end.

<edit> And obviously, resort to a hammer and/ or larger tools if it’s still too difficult to cut 🙂

suffolk
    Free Member

File the ends flat after cutting, and stick a small brad awl up them after that to round the hole out again.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Gear cable cutting….. Grrrrrrrr’ is closed to new replies.