Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Gear cable anti-chafe fitting?
  • badgerbater
    Free Member

I’ve seen a bike on this forum with neat rubber “anti-chafe” fittings on the gear cable housing. These have been positioned near the headset. They were tapered, being thicker at the ends, if that helps with the description. Does anyone know where I can get these from? I’ve googled but without success…

badgerbater
    Free Member

Thanks teasel, just what I was thinking of; not cheap mind you! Been looking in the “cables” rather than “frame protection” sections!!

teasel
    Free Member

An alternative is something like an old drinks bladder tube or similar. Slice down the middle, work over the cable and you’re done. Camelbak tubing isn’t quite as grippy as the Sram things but a visit to a local hose supplier might produce something more suitable.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I use sugru to make hose protectors. Works brilliantly and a pack makes about 3 so better value than the Sram things.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007VXJM58/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1397067668&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

amplebrew

There are also these ones from Wiggle which are slightly cheaper than the SRAM ones.

I run them on my bikes and I’ve found them to be really good.

They also have them for your brake hoses as well.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Some good suggestions here, hadn’t thought of sugru, but could be a good option. Don’t know about you lot, but the problem I have is the head badge on my frame cutting into the cables. I currently wrap insulation tape around the cable but these noodles seem to be the way forward. Thanks.

austy
    Free Member

I have some of what you’re looking for and jagwire make them, got a set with my ripcord gear cables, quite tough to find otherwise.

monkeyboyjc

you can also use rubber wiring grommets which cost pence.

sam_underhill

How do they work? Surely the protector touches the frame instead of the cable, so it’ll still rub?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nothing works as well as this:

Yeti_575_038 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Doesn’t work on all bikes, but if it does it’s the best solution.

monkeyboyjc

How do they work? Surely the protector touches the frame instead of the cable, so it’ll still rub?

the ‘hard’ outer casing of gear cables will rub away the paint lots quicker than the ‘soft’ rubber of the frame protectors – fit them to all my bikes, never had an issue.

scotroutes

Decathlon sell them for very little.

thewilllinton
    Free Member

Peterpoddy, what exactly have you got fitted there ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

2 bits of clear tubing slid over the gear outers and secured with a cable tie through them and around the head tube. It depends on your cable routing if it works or not but if it does it’s effectively another cable guide and cable rub simply doesn’t happen. Those rubber things can move or fall off. This doesn’t. 🙂

timba
    Free Member

Decathlon +1. Much cheaper.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Gear cable anti-chafe fitting?’ is closed to new replies.