Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Gcse maths book?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s been 25 years since I did it and subsequently a level maths. Looking for a good book to supplement/aid what dear daughter is learning at the moment. In yr9 and doing very well with high predictions for maths so a book we could look through whilst doing homework would be ideal.

parkesie
    Free Member
    munkster
    Free Member

She’ll be doing the new spec GCSE so try to look for a “2015 spec” book because there are quite a few substantial topics that won’t be in a pre-2015 one.

Alternatively get one from 1989* because some of the topics they’ve put back in (eg.iteration) were in the GCSE back then 😉

*not being totally serious with that suggestion 😯

wrightyson
    Free Member

^^glad I asked^^

munkster
    Free Member

^^glad I asked^^

Of course, the vast majority is still the same but you’ll only end up having to look out these “new” topics when she comes to them if it’s an older book.

If I were you I’d ask the maths dept at the school what textbook she’s going to be using. Most publishers have a whole slew of books not just the one; practice books, skills books etc etc. There might be one that complements the one they provide. It is also possible that the school itself will be using a pre-2015 book themselves of course, and supplementing as required. Textbooks are not cheap!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

corbettmaths.com explains everything and includes sample questions. Id also google AQA past papers

sharkattack

Textbooks are not cheap!

Thousands to choose from on eBay. Far below RRP. Worth checking if you’re a user

munkster
    Free Member

Thousands to choose from on eBay. Far below RRP. Worth checking if you’re a user

I just meant not cheap for the department to buy a whole year group’s worth, not an individual copy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Gcse maths book?’ is closed to new replies.