Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • GB car sticker required for Ireland?
  • cb

Hi, going over to Dublin on Friday – AA site reckons GB stickers compulsory, Irish Ferries say no need!

Anyone know the true position?

Thanks

northshoreniall

I’m over home many times every year and never been asked for or told I need one. Thats in UK reg cars too.

nickjb
    Free Member

For £1 why not just stick a magnetic one on? You only need one grumpy, jobsworth copper to ruin your day.

jimjam
    Free Member

nickjb – Member

For £1 why not just stick a magnetic one on? You only need one grumpy, jobsworth copper to ruin your day.

Irish coppers are called Gardaí. The one sure way to make them grumpy is to call them police/officer/constable etc

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAHR1tk5xvU[/video]

northshoreniall

Why would grumpy jobsworth Garda be involved? Its the AA advising. Been travelling over and back for 20yr by car and never once had issue.

avdave2

Do you even need a licence in Ireland let alone a sticker 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

The last thing I would want in a republican area would be a GB sticker !

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think you need them anywhere any more…?

cranberry
    Free Member

If you do get stopped, tell them your name is Prawo Jazdy.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Technically/legally a GB sticker probably is required but it’s pretty unlikely not having one would be an issue. I’ve probably driven there without one previously.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The last thing I would want in a republican area would be a GB sticker !

News Flash: I think you would be hard pressed to find a “republican” area in Dublin seeing as the whole country is the ****’ Republic!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Seriously? The word Father Ted uses as an expletive fails the sweary filter? What kind of bollocks is this?

andytherocketeer

I don’t think you need them anywhere any more…?

my understangin was that if you have an EU format registration plate, with the EU flag and the GB bit underneath, then a GB sticker is not required in EU.
    not sure about those with ENG, CYM, SCO, etc., but I’d risk it.

jimjam
    Free Member

cranberry – Member

If you do get stopped, tell them your name is Prawo Jazdy.

Very good 🙂

properbikeco
    Free Member

was over last year – none of us had a sticker and no-one was stopped

YMMV

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’ll be grand without one.

I’m also pretty sure they wouldn’t give two shites about you calling them constable or officer. (Although you might get let off if you knew to call him or her “Garda”.)

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’ve never put a GB sticker on the car and have traveled across Europe a few times a year since I can remember without incident… you’ll probably be ok.

If you do decide to fit one please try to put it on vaguely straight rather than throwing it at the back of the car and hoping it sticks like a lot of people seem to!

Edric64
    Free Member

Ok I wouldn’t drive there as I wouldn’t feel safe being English

northshoreniall

Really??? Do you go out at night or will the bogey man get you?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member

Really, how do you go around being “English”?

Was over years ago but had an exceptionally friendly reception both in Dublin and in the countryside. Have you been out of the UK…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Wow.

I suppose you would get anxious if I told you we are in a union with Prussia Germany, Austria and Hungary and that Turkey wants to join as well then huh?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Anti-English sentiment is very common in Ireland, though much, much less so in Dublin. Even down in ‘rebel country’ Cork, the worst you’ll get is a cold shoulder. Plenty of ‘RA bars you’d not want to visit, but the chances of accidentally ending up in one of them are pretty slim.

OP, if you end up on the M50 around Dublin watch out for the eFlow toll number. You need to call up and pay or pre-pay on the service website. Also, be aware that middle-lane disciple is slightly different in that many people see it as the ‘main’ lane, with inside for entry/exit and outer for passing. It can get quite irritating.

kilo

Three_Fish – Member

Anti-English sentiment is very common in Ireland, though much, much less so in Dublin

Very common? Utter rubbish. I’ve never come across any anti-English sentiment in many years travelling around Ireland

Cougar

Seriously? The word Father Ted uses as an expletive fails the sweary filter? What kind of bollocks is this?

Before my time, but I’m lead to believe people were, eh, let’s say “over-using” it. I think.

my understangin was that if you have an EU format registration plate, with the EU flag and the GB bit underneath, then a GB sticker is not required in EU.

Yeah, I think that’s the case. I’m 99% sure that’s what I’d read before I went to France last year.

Sundayjumper

The fact your car is wearing a mainland registration is just as big a giveaway.

edit: unless you have bought an NI number as a really pikey “cherished” registration.

donncha

Anti-English sentiment is very common in Ireland
    Plenty of ‘RA bars

Wow!

jimjam
    Free Member

kilo

Very common? Utter rubbish. I’ve never come across any anti-English sentiment in many years travelling around Ireland

Hatred of the English is part of the Irish psyche. In the same way the Scotch hate the English, or the French hate the English, only much, much more so as the conflict is relatively recent. I’d say it’s the defining trait. That doesn’t mean Irish people (particularly in the tourism/hospitality trade) can’t distinguish between an English person, and the country which inflicted hundreds of years of tyranny and exploitation.

I certainly wouldn’t worry about it if I was planning a trip. The worst you’ll get is a cold shoulder. Ironically some of the most vehement, pure bile filled hatred for the English is to be found loyalist areas of NI, as they see themselves as more being more British, more Royalist and having been abandoned. They particularly hate the fact that most English people call them Irish.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hatred of the English is part of the Irish psyche.

*checks passport*

*goes through list of hated nationalities*

*wonders if perhaps not Irish after all*

Honestly, from an innocent question about a frickin car sticker, we get to this utter pish. Top STWing. 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

You had to check your passport? Probably explains why you disagree.

joshvegas
    Free Member

way the Scotch hate the English

Pretty sure scotch doesn’t care who drinks it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I disagree because it simply isn’t true jimjam. Thankfully, I reckon as pointed out above, nearly everybody realises this. Its a bit disappointing to hear the myth still being peddled out though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hatred of the English is part of the Irish psyche. In the same way the Scotch hate the English, or the French hate the English

Wot?

Maybe it’s just you they hate?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Maybe you just don’t see, then. I suppose that you’ll also disagree that the country is still deeply feudal in terms of county loyalties?

Now, I’m not talking about pitched battles on the streets or signs in shops banning Brits, but I think one has to be fairly blinkered to be oblivious to the presence, not too far below the surface, of prejudice. It’s going to be less on the West side and in Dublin, but the further away one gets the more likely one will hear evidence. It’s all done, typically, in a tongue-in-cheek, Edinburgh-Defence sort of way, but catch people in the right mood and it’s extremely easy to coax local, national or, less commonly, religious prejudice out of people. Compared to England, where I’ve spent most of my life, general attitude is notably more prejudicial. Only rural Sweden eclipses it, in my experience. The USA is probably too large to generalise, although it’s not exactly renowned for its outward-looking attitudes.

For clarity, I’d like to note that I disagree that “hatred of the English is part of the Irish psyche.”. I’m talking about the existence of prejudice. As I said at the beginning: what you don’t see is because of your sight.

gobuchul
    Free Member

the existence of prejudice.

The Irish are prejudice against the English?

Ahh the ironing!!!!

donncha

Compared to England, where I’ve spent most of my life, general attitude is notably more prejudicial.

That’s your opinion which I happen to disagree with.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

That’s your opinion which I happen to disagree with.

It’s more of an observation than merely an opinion. I’m sure it could be quantifiable through survey. Prejudices manifest in different ways in England, the most obvious being class and, in some ways, against ‘unknowns’. If one compares the histories of the UK and Ireland, some obvious differences appear. Ireland, for example, has been persistently invaded over the centuries; whereas the UK has been the invader (colonial). It’s understandable how, therefore, typical social attitudes might form. I find the whole subject fascinating; it’s just a shame that they are such sensitive issues that many prefer not to explore.

Interestingly, yet probably not surprisingly, where I’ve worked in the arts/creative industries, attitudes tend to more open-minded and progressive.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

…you’ll also disagree that the country is still deeply feudal in terms of county loyalties?

Feudal my arse! 😆

You might want to look into why there is fierce county loyalty in Ireland. Here’s a few keywords for you to google: “GAA” “Inter-county championship” “Hurling” “Gaelic Football”

I’d hazard that my mum and her generation (all in their seventies and eighties) might be a bit more prejudiced than their English counterparts – perhaps – but Ireland didn’t receive any significant immigration until the late nineties. It’s a prejudice borne of ignorance and lack of exposure. It’s dying off with her generation. Any other prejudice you’ve seen when you’ve scratched the surface is no more or less prevalent than here or in any other mostly white country.

If you think there’s a strong tradition of taking the piss in the UK, it’s even stronger in Ireland. I dunno, perhaps you were on the receiving end and misunderstood. You certainly seem to misunderstand quite a bit about the place.

portlyone

Is this technically leprachauning? Trolling on an Irish thread.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Been to Ireland many times, and never used a GB plate, though my number plate is an EU plate with the GB symbol. Never seen any anti-UK sentiment in all the years. I am Welsh though, so a fellow Celt.
    Just make sure your insurance and breakdown covers foreign use (not just the default third party cover).
    Back in the early 90s we went to a wedding in Belfast – height of the troubles. Almost no-one from the mainland turned up apart from my friend’s immediate family (and us). Had a great time, and didn’t pay for a meal or drink all weekend. When we checked-out of the B&B, someone had paid the bill already (still no idea who).

andytherocketeer

wtf.

Those of us that are mostly English and part Irish (Co. Mayo and Roscommon) are stuffed then. I must be prejudiced against myself.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘GB car sticker required for Ireland?’ is closed to new replies.