Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Gawton vs Welsh DH venues
  • riklegge

I’m planning to visit Gawton in a couple of weeks. I’ve never ridden there, so just wondering what to expect. How do the tracks like Egypt and Super Tavi compare to eg Antur Stiniog or Revolution?

Tia.

riklegge

nobody?

jam-bo

i’ve not been to the others but I live 5 mins down the road from gawton.

Steep is probably the best way to describe it.

and the top of track 5 is open now if your into big jumps.

riklegge

Thanks Jam bo.

kayak23

Yeah, steep is a good indicator.
    Great fun, but the harder tracks are tricky with some committing jumps if you’re up for them.

The mellower tracks are great fun too.

I wouldn’t compare the hard tracks to any bikepark stuff, more like ‘proper’ dh tracks, Rheola, Myndd ddu etc.

Wish it wasn’t so far away.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden Antur but looking at the videos I’ve seen it appears generally more open and less tech than the DHs at Gawton. Obviously depends on your skilz but the Gawton DHs are flipping steep and very slippery with any hint of rain. They are beyond my talents and once having dismounted I had to slide down most of them on my arse…

The other trails are fantastic – but fairly short. Quite possible to injure yourself though 😳 so take it easy to start with if you’re on your own as it’s a relatively isolated spot and can be quiet in terms of other riders.

phutphutend

Gawton is super steep.

Super Tavi is great, but steep.

Eqypt is pretty mental. I’ve ridden there a few times in the past in the wet and there’s a section in the middle I had to push down! It’s really pretty difficult.

I’ve ridden Revolution just once, but on a trail bike, not a DH bike. I suppose it’s similar to Gawton, just not as steep.

You may have gathered, Gawton is steep.

Bizare bit of trivia here. As I understand, the Gawton woodland (steep) is owned by the Marquis of Tavistock, who also owns the land where Woburn trails are located.

jam-bo

tavi woodlands just up the road is worth a visit as well if you are coming a long way. very different feel to gawton but good all the same.

peterich
    Free Member

Great venue to ride
    Proper job is an awesome track you could ride all day with high burmsand jumps and hips and fun aplenty
    HSD great fun
    Super tavi fast and dangerous
    Egypt savage and super steep I’ve never cleared it in the wet
    New track 5 great well made jumps with a whistler feel
    And the push up track is at least half rideable on an enduro bike
    Enjoy

riklegge

So it’s steep then?! Thanks for all the information, I’ll try it out and head over to Tavi woodland too if I’ve got time.

carlphillips
    Free Member

ah its steep but not scary stupid steep, all trails are flowy and good fun to ride..
    definitely head to tavi woodlands if you can, loads of different trails there and the push/ride up is much easier so you can get more done in a day.
    post up when your going, a few of us are there every sunday so would be happy to show you around tavi or ride with you at gawton

riklegge

Thanks Carl, I think it will be midweek but I’ll post when I go.

kayak23

Are flyup still uplifting there these days?

Mbnut
    Free Member

I tend to only ride Proper Job and HSD if I am there on my own midweek. The other trails are ok but require commitment and I had a major tumble on a cold, wet winters day once which can be a bit worrying as there is literally no one else around and very little signal.

I always ride up the push up as I kinda like a challenge, about 6 loops does me.

You are meant to pay to ride there so pop into Dartmoor Cycles and pop a £5 in the pot… at least someone will know you are up there.

I’ll check out Tavi woods next time.

jam-bo

You can ride from gawton to tavi via the Tamar trails cycle path. Takes about 35-40mins and is quite a pleasant XC ride.

carlphillips
    Free Member

kayak23 yes uplift currently back up and running…was nice and dry today for a change

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Gawton vs Welsh DH venues’ is closed to new replies.