Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Gatorskins – any good?
  • garage-dweller

Your mind is I’m sure made up but can I just add that imo they are horrid but they are tough and well priced!

I ride a cheap 10+ year old road bike. I put gatorskins on it a few years back which I had thought might be an upgrade from the perished OEM rubber. Felt leaden and no confidence on corners or braking. Put me off riding on the road.

In the spring I caved in and bought some black chilli GP4000s. I finally feel vaguely confident on the road for the first time since I bought the bike.

In my usual long winded way I think I’m saying at my talent level and fitness (both mediocre) they don’t grip or roll well.

TiRed

Bicycle rolling resistance reports that gatorskins give up 10 watts an end compared with GP4000s with latex tubes. You’ll have to train hard to get an extra 20 watts. For GP 4 seasons, it’s a more modest 2 watts per end.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/compare/continental-gatorskin-2015-vs-continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-latex-tube-2014-vs-continental-grand-prix-4-season-2015

chilled76
    Free Member

That 10 watts is a significant amount when doubled for both wheels.

I ride gatorakins at the minute as I had a spate where I kept gwtting punctures last autumn and i just left them on.

Theyve nearly had me off twice in the wet, but I’ve never had a puncture since I fitted them.

spawnofyorkshire

Had my first proper ride on the Gravel kings last night in the p*ssing rain and dead impressed with them.
    Plenty of grip and they held up really well to a surprise drain causing a massive square edged hit that should have punctured both but didn’t do either wheel

chakaping
    Free Member

Obviously there’s loads of suitable tyres out there, and many of them will be better than Gatorskins (I wasn’t a fan).

I’ve been really pleased with these though…

Review: Continental Grand Prix GT tyres

GavinT
    Free Member

Ah this thread fell at just the right time, was just pondering this question myself.

And Schwalbe Duranos are 18.99 on Chainreaction at the moment so that’s a done deal! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Gatorskins – any good?’ is closed to new replies.