Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Gatesgarth pass
  • kirky72
    Free Member

Did garburn pass for the first time (enjoyed it greatly but not the climb) on Sunday and whilst heading back towards Stavely we spotted a very long windy trail heading down from the hills which we figure must be gatesgarth, kind of heading in our direction around sad gill. It looked like a great piece of trail.

A couple of pieces advice from the lakes officiados. Which direction is the better descent/easier climb.

This clip seems to be heading toward haweswater, I’ve the opposite direction which makes me thing we could start at ings do garburn down, through the small villages there’s a bridle way that’s signed Nan Bield however can this be used to reach the start point of gatesgarth climb and then descend to haweswater. Any suggested loops to head back over or is it good to just turn around and reverse it.

Any good routes to include garburn and gatesgarth would be good.

The next question is how to do gatesgarth and Nan Bield and where best to start and finish. Pushing my luck I know but I’m intrigued and it all looks a good option for a bit of wet weather riding.

kirky72
    Free Member

If it helps by way of description of how to add on or alter course from my recent ride in the area, here’s the route.

Pretty standard probably from Stavely with a good warm up before the climb upto Garburn.

https://www.strava.com/activities/774478119

postierich
    Free Member

Personally I would do Garburn from Dubbs down to Green Quarter then Sadgill Up Gatesgarth Pass when you get to the top of the Pass either go down to Haweswater then turn left up the BW which is ok to start with but then turns into a bitch of a Hike a bike you will eventually reach Nan Bield. Or you could go left at the top of Gatesgarth up the FP to Harterfell which eventually drops you down to Nan Bield its mostly rideable if you have the legs its my preferred option. Nan Bield is a great descent but you will have to work at to enjoy!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IvanDobski
    Free Member

Garburn via Dubbs, Sadgill to Longsleddale, up Gatesgarth, down to Haweswater, up to the Nan Bield shelter, onto Harter Fell, back down Gatesgarth, over Sadgill, back up Garburn and down past Dubbs.

I really don’t get the fuss about the Nan Bield descent.

fergal
    Free Member

I see where you are coming from, techy Alpine switchbacks V’s bumpy landy tracks mmm… cleaning the former is a joy to behold, one of my faves.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I parked at a Haweswater, over Nan Bield to Kentmere (I think) and back over Gatesgarth.
    Brilliant ride, I thought. the descent back down to Haweswater is a hoot.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Gatesgarth pass’ is closed to new replies.