Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Gates belt drive – anyone tried one?
  • tazzymtb

I'm thinking of getting a gates belt drive Spotlongboard SS. Has anyone tried a gates belt drive how does it compare to a normal chain setup?
    Don't fancy having an expensive punt if it's going to be big bag of poo!

avdave2

No but I want to try it. I think like others though I´m waiting for more reports from the real world. I already run a hub gear and would look for a belt compatible frame if and when I´m in the market for a new one. Even if you don´t get on with the belt though it should be relatively easy to swap it out for a chain drive should´nt it?

Trimix
    Free Member

Didnt Orange make a belt drive that was tested in the mag some time ago ?

I seem to remember issues with mud not shedding out of the chain, but I may be wrong. Also more drag was involved, I think.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Trekster

made just a few hundred yards from my house 🙂

epicyclo

I've got a couple of bikes with them (conversions).

Lighter, quieter, perfect for singlespeed or hub gear,

I'm not convinced that they are worth a large premium on a chain drive unless you are going to ride in mud a lot. (Chains are cheap)

tazzymtb

thanks folks, from what I've read they look really good but I'm a bit worried about having a sodding great plate/split in the frame to get the belt in. i suppose it's a new idea and frame fails won't happen for a while….hmmmmm 😕

Anyone got one I can have a go on?

CountZero

Why should there be a sodding big plate or split in the frame? Fixie Inc have developed a join link that is virtually invisible when installed in the seatstay, and they'll be making it available to other frame builders. They had several belt drive bikes at the Cycle Show this year, including one built for cycle polo, so it's got to be strong.

CountZero

here you go, look on the right hand seatstay, just below the wheel rim, you can just see a grey mark. That's a stainless steel removable insert to allow the belt to be removed/changed. It just needs two 5mm bolts undone.

this is the street version, with the joint painted. It's invisible unless you're a few inches away. It can be done neatly, with a bit of thought. The Trek belt drive bike is just as neat, but with a removeable drop-out.

epicyclo

tazzymtb – Member
    thanks folks, from what I've read they look really good but I'm a bit worried about having a sodding great plate/split in the frame to get the belt in. i suppose it's a new idea and frame fails won't happen for a while

A simple pin joint is all that is needed.

Almost all bikes had this for nearly 100 years so it's nothing new, and they never came loose, so it's not as if we need a super tech solution.

Simple is best.

Trekster

If I had the need for one I do like the Trek belt drive bikes

defaultslipper
    Free Member

same as trekster, made not too far away. and with a family member and a few friends working on the belts in there, i doubt it will be long before i get a go on the company test bike. one of my friends there has tested their full suss bike with belt drive and really enjoyed it.

can't say much about longevity as i have no idea how many miles it has done, but they do a lot of serious testing in that place, so if a belt can stand a thousand hours on a car (equivalent to 160000 km i am told), then i would expect their bike drive sets to stand a little longer than your average cassette/ chain combo.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Epicyclo – have you had stones / sticks getting caught in the belt? I would worry about this happening and it jamming or maybe the belt breaking. Do you use them offroad?

Motorcycles with belts tend to use fairly comprehensive stone guards to stop this happening

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Gates belt drive – anyone tried one?’ is closed to new replies.