Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Gastric endoscopy
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Got one next week.

They’ve offered either a local throat spray or a sedative: Is the latter worth it? It would mean having to arrange someone to come with me to drive me home.

I’ve had an ENT endoscopy, which wasn’t too bad, apart from the bit where they went in through the nose. it is any different to that?

maccruiskeen

are you me?

🙂

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/upper-intestinal-endoscopy-sedative-yesno

In for one on Thursday, managed to get things arranged so I can have a sedative. (so that Drac can tut disapprovingly)

mikey74
    Free Member

Haha, I’m in on Friday, but if you fancy going twice…… 😆

strangey13
    Free Member

Throat spray if you can manage it. Makes it easier for the hospital staff because you can understand anything they need to tell you and it’ll be over quicker and you get to go after.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Just think of England

Davesport

I opted for the throat spray, I had no other option as I was driving home. It was easier than I thought even if the stomach biopsies were a bit odd. If the throat spray’s not enough they can stop and give you the goofy juice to make you happy again.

Superficial
    Free Member

I think it depends if you’re the sort of person who can stay chilled when having something rammed down your throat. Plenty of people manage it fine without sedation, but equally some people get really freaked out by it. As above, you can always opt for sedation at a later stage.

On the other hand, I hear midazolam is quite pleasant and I can’t say I wouldn’t be tempted, given the option!

ratherbeintobago

On the other hand, I hear midazolam is quite pleasant and I can’t say I wouldn’t be tempted, given the option!

Except… there are better, shorter acting options like propofol (TCI or otherwise). But for some reason my physicianly colleagues persist in using midazolam.

maccruiskeen

As above, you can always opt for sedation at a later stage.

Only if you’ve given yourself that option though really – that was the reason for me starting my thread. I was finding it difficult to get an appointment that tallied with a ‘responsible adult’ being around if I did opt for sedation. Managed to sort that now so on the day I’ve got the choice.

easygirl

I opted for the sedation, you are still awake and with it.
    It was great for me , and I felt fine about an hour later.

vickypea
    Free Member

I had one last Monday and read the other thread while I was waiting in the hospital to have it done! Based on what a lot of people said in the other thread, and my mum’s experience, I was glad I opted for sedation. I had an hour’s snooze afterwards and then felt pretty normal, although I took their advice and waited 12 hours before driving.

ratherbeintobago

I felt fine about an hour later.

A colleague of mine had a gastroscope under sedation; felt fine but completely unable to remember going round Tesco with his wife afterwards (which may be a good thing).

There was also a (possibly apocryphal) story doing the rounds when I was a reg of someone going post-sedation into town and taking out multiple mobile phone contracts.

maccruiskeen

I felt fine about an hour later.

Thats the requirement for a ‘responsible adult’. How you feel and how you are can be different things.

Last time I had sedatives, quite a while later and feeling fine I was getting dressed to go out and thinking to myself “maybe I’m still a bit out of it” because I was finding it really difficult to get my belt to go through the loops on my jean. Struggled on gallantly and it was only when I went to buckle it up I realised the reason it was difficult was because I’d already put one belt on and had then spent 20 mins trying to jam another one through the loops….. decided not to go to the workshop after all.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

I had one about six months ago with just the throat spray.

I would describe it as mildly unpleasant or uncomfortable in so much as you wouldn’t choose to do it for fun but it didn’t hurt and was easy to do.

Probably less than 5 minutes in reality for a good look around and a couple of biopsies.

They told me not to eat or drink for an hour afterwards.

mikey74
    Free Member

Well that was a rather unpleasant procedure. Now I know how the victims in Aliens felt 😯

Diagnosis? I have a small hiatus hernia, and possibly gastritis.

Drac

In for one on Thursday, managed to get things arranged so I can have a sedative. (so that Drac can tut disapprovingly)

🙄

Yup a bit unpleasant but soon over with.

rone

Diagnosis? I have a small hiatus hernia, and possibly gastritis

What symptoms you had with gastritis. I really should go and get one had an ulcer last year but stomach painful on and off for a while now.

Chucked a load of Mastika down me. Bit better. Anything but down my throat though!

mikey74
    Free Member

To be honest this is the first time this has been mentioned, so I haven’t really been tracking the symptoms (more focused on the acid reflux). However, the NHS website says a few of the symptoms include feeling uncomfortably full after eating and some abdominal paint which, in hindsight, are a couple of things I have experienced.

valley
    Free Member

I had it done just with throat spray was ok a bit uncomfortable but far better than getting put under

mikey74
    Free Member

I’d say “a bit uncomfortable” would be quite an understatement for me.

I’m still not sure I’d go for the sedative though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Gastric endoscopy’ is closed to new replies.