Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Gasket & metal surface sealants
  • Stoner
    Free Member

A question for the grease-monkeys out there…

Is this stuff OK to use on metal to metal surfaces that dont have a gasket, such as a clutch slave cylinder/bell housing or a starter motor/flywheel housing joint?

cheers

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Not really as it doesn’t go off/set .

What car you working on?

Junkyard
    Free Member

^^ that is the point it seals without setting I assume he knows this
    Why are you putting a gasket where there is no gasket? do you mean there was none or you dont have any? Should one go there?
    It works between metal to metal to answer your question and it never hardens so should be fine.

andyl
    Free Member

Tech sheet says yes: http://www.hylomar.co.uk/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=76

It doesnt set like silicone gasket sealants but i quite like that idea and I have heard good things.

finishthat
    Free Member

neither joint requires sealant unless specified , and that would be very unusual.

Trekster

What he says ^^^^^^
    Water proofing the Landy? Served my “time” on the inc 2 factory courses and never used it on any of those parts.

Used to be a standard addition to any mechs tool box when I was a “boy” (40yrs ago!). Modern jointing materials tend not to need any additional help.
    In current job if a joint leaks it is either u/s or joint faces need remedial action, not used any gasket sealant for a long time.

Stoner
    Free Member

Id just seen reference on a landy forum to applying a sealant to the clutch slave face when refitting. I need to get some sealant for use on some gaskets in the future, and was wondering if this stuff might also be used for metal/metal facing as well. But if peeps reckon it’s unnecessary then fair enough.

parkesie
    Free Member

Not particularly needed but would do the job you want it to. If your taking the landy swimming unless you fit the bell housing wading plug its pointless doing using sealant at the joints 🙂

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

I asked what vehicle as i thought you where going to use it between a concentric slave & a gearbox casing inside the bellhousing . It would not be suitable for that application .

I’m guesing people have used it on land rover slaves to prevent corrosion between the two surfaces ? I can think of no other reason , if this is the case , a thin layer of grease would be ample i’d have thought .

Personally i like to let a gasket do it’s job without any clag on it . If you do need to give a gasket some assistance then a good quality rtv sealer is what you want . rtv is what you ned for metal/meatal sealing . Avoid using rtv’s on oil feed pipes to turbo’s etc as it can easily block oil ways and galleries .

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers hbd.

rtv?

Not planning on going swimming with the bus so I will propably forget about any sealant on those joints then.

When is sealant used on gaskets like head or rocker cover?

crikey
    Free Member

It does work superbly as an alternative to carbon paste for fitting carbon seatposts to alloy frames, or alloy seatposts to carbon frames, or carbon seatposts to carbon frames.

It was recommended to me by someone from Trek USA after I had an alloy post get stuck in a carbon frame.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

When is sealant used on gaskets like head or rocker cover?

When you can’t get it to seal and you’re a bit desperate.

We have a drive coupling on one of gas turbines that had a problematic oil leak until we reassembled it with a liberal coating of red Hylomar. I’d assemble if with light grease and see if there were any oil leaks before resorting to sealants.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

rtv

Cork gaskets are a bit crap and can benefit from a thin coating of sealer . DO NOT use sealer on head gaskets , just ensure head & block faces are clean of all traces of old gasket etc clean with brake cleaner to remove oil & grease then fit gasket dry & torque down head bolts in sequance .

Stoner
    Free Member

great, thanks.

takisawa2

When I collected the gasket for the sump on our old Corolla the guy at the dealers handed me a tube of sealant. 🙂
    Apparently, it’s all the rage these days.

parkesie
    Free Member

Alot of sumps dont use a gasket just a bead of sticky stuff and your done.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Gasket & metal surface sealants’ is closed to new replies.