Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Gas/Electric bill came today!
  • tk46hal
    Free Member

Bl00dy hell.
    I pay a fortune on direct debit to n power for both gas/electric and they say I still or will by the time the year ends owe another £500 on top. Not happy as they want to put my direct debit up by another £70 per month.
    Nothing I can do but buy some more jumpers and I’m on the so called cheapest deal from them. It’s been a cold winter up North and still is.
    Just a Friday evening rant. 😥
    How much do you guys pay for both?

br
    Free Member

Usual question, estimate or actual?

Duffer
    Free Member

We tend too pay about £300 for the quarter during the better months. £500 during the winter.

I’d love to keep the heating off, but when you have little’uns around, it’s not that easy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tk46hal
    Free Member

Not estimated, actual so I can’t go down that road now!

tk46hal
    Free Member

Duffer,

It’s hard to tell when winter ends and summer starts at the moment! But based on that, that will be around £1600 for the year! Still too much 😐

eskay

Feel your pain man:

rip off

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Going UP by £70 a month?
    Stone the crows!!!!!
    Where do you live? Buckingham Palace?
    We only pay £65 month on a 3 bed semi…….

singletrackmind

I pay £540 per year combined gas and electric.
    The joy of living on the South Coast , although I do expect this to be increased in June ( 6 monthly billing )

wrightyson
    Free Member

£122/ month here just been dropped a little bit per month. 3 bed semi with 9″ bwork and fuff all inso in the roof! Log burner ftw tho!

chrisa87
    Free Member

£900 for 14weeks. Lets just say that either my landlord sorts the efficiency of the house or me and my housemates are gone. Bit of a shock when that Bill came.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Now £201 pm!
    We moved tarrifs over to a lower amount after being told that it was cheaper so it went down from 156 to 130. Now we owe them and they now say 200 to catch up. It’s as clear as mud with the bl00dy enery co’s!
    Second jumper going on and I’ve even got the family doing star jumps to keep warm as I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED a new fork! 😉

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Get your energy provider to check your tarrif as they have a habit of forgetting to put you on the cheapest one!

Have a look at you energy consumption and if you think it high for time of year ask for a check meter to be installed. You need to be careful with this as you could end up with a higher bill. 🙁

The other option is shop around then go back to your provider and tell them your off, that will often make them take some action to try and keep you.

Good luck

tk46hal
    Free Member

My last six months I have spent an average of £171 on gas and £47 on electric per month, Scary!

allthepies
    Free Member

Do you live in Alaska and have no windows ?

tk46hal
    Free Member

Might as well be Alaska! Yorkshire!
    It’s grim up north. I left Essex, it was 22 degrees, got home four hours later and it’s the normal 8. Heating on!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

My DD has just gone up £100PM, changed over to Scottish power to save a few quid when they were ending the last round of deals 4-5 months ago, it seems to of been a bad move 🙁

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

On a dual fuel setup the electricity would seam ok. Do you use gas for heating and cooking?

Kryton57

Wooah!

We’ve moved to am more efficient house in the last year (old 10yo boiler no thermostat in the old 2 bed, Brand new boiler + thermostat and TRV’s plus proper insulation here) and I was shocked when the winter 6 months (October to April) came in at £800.

Since the sun came out our heatings hardly been on so we will obviously average out to a lower monthly amount over summer, but I thought our winter £800 was more than the old place and was shocked. I guess looking at others above the fuel price rise really have made an impact.

3 bed 1906 Victorian semi in London btw…

jd-boy
    Free Member

dont pay anything on direct debit apart from morgage and some house insurances. everything else gets paid when the bill comes through the door, that way I control them and MY money not the other way round, and the lazy F**** always try it on by sending an estimated bill, even though I see them come and check the meter when Im working from home during the day. 👿

somafunk

I don’t pay for leccy by direct debit either and my bills are usually £160 to £180 a quarter, it is only me in the house though and it’s a wee 1 bedroom bungalow wi an airsource heatpump for hot water and heating, but i’ve never had the heating part switched on, i prefer to use the log burner in the living room as my logs are free.

And to think i complain about my bills?, compared to some on here i’m paying a pittance.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing I can do but buy some more jumpers

Insulate!

Our leccy is £30-50/mo or should be.. had a blip last quarter.. Gas is similar.

tk46hal
    Free Member

1840 Victorian house and we have done the best to insulate what we can. The gas is the main one as we cook and heat with gas.

br
    Free Member

dont pay anything on direct debit apart from morgage and some house insurances. everything else gets paid when the bill comes through the door, that way I control them and MY money not the other way round,

But you’ll be paying the highest rate, far better/cheaper to just sign-up for an online DD deal and read your own meter whenever an estimated bill comes in.

And we moved from the SE to Scotland last year, I reckon a constant air temp 5c lower now – consequently its far more likely we’ll have our heating on now as once you get below 15c you want the heating on, even if just the fire.

zippykona

3 bed 1930s semi and we pay £66 combined for gas and electric on EDF blue.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Insulate!

Our leccy is £30-50/mo or should be..
    What has insulation got to do with electricity usage if they’re on gas heating?
    We use about £80 of leccy/month but there are two businesses run from here and there are are about 6 computers and a variety of wireless networks, switches, etc running constantly, plus MrsSB likes the tumble drier 🙁
    Luckily we have solar which helps bring the bills down a fair bit in the summer.

jam-bo

Are you heating the house to care home levels?

Or growing skunk in the attic?

dux
    Free Member

I’m currently paying £137 p/m dual fuel with EON but just switched to Scottish power. Since jan i have completely replastered the house, insulated all exterior walls, fitted TRV’s and changed the 25+ year old boiler to a nice efficient combi.

Considering i live on my own its a huge dd and i am hoping it comes down by £70-90 pm. 3 Bed terraced in Lancs

Weasel
    Free Member

Or growing skunk in the attic?

Beat me to it

trail_rat
    Free Member

1950s ex council end row brick built 3 bed semi on top of a hill

We use 60 quid a month in heating / hot water oil 700 quid over 12 months mostly in winter though and 12 quid a month in logs

And our dd is 25 quid a month for leccy – it was 35 but we used less than they estimated first off.

I suspect the keynsavings are in light bulbs given in winter most of our usage is in lighting. – 60 watt bulbs replaced for 5/6watt fluero/led equivalents and all the 240v gu10s in the kitchen/bathroom are led 5 watts

The fridge , washing machine and dishwasher are all energy efficient a++ rated and the washing machne and dishwasher generally only go on at night.we dont leave computers on when not in use.

I also shower at work after riding in.

tk46hal
    Free Member

We are on the best deal with N power and have even spoken to them to see what can be done to reduce our d/d.Nothing so will hope that the crappy weather improves so we can turn off the brand new green boiler which was fitted a year ago!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Things that can be done to reduce dd number 1 is reduce consumption , remembering to turn off lights in rooms not occupied and the hall etc.. Less tumble drying ( or none….dont even own one ) if on a gas combi it might be worth plumbing the washing appliances to the hot outlet if possible pending max input temp, gas being cheaper than leccy.

MoreCashThanDash

Our fixed gas/elec deal ends this month – currently costing £152 a month – about right against actual readings

Seems cheapest fixed deal we can get now will be at least £20 a month more. 😯 Gonna have to start charging the Garmin/smart phone/exposure lights at work…..

Duggan

Moved into a new flat a few months ago and found out that our monthly water bill is now £86 a month 😯

Based on the rateable value of the property ffs. We’re not even here most of the time as always at work.

Having someone come round to see if they can fit a water meter but doesn’t look likely as the last couple were here for 8 years so surely would have fitted one if they could.

singletrackmind

@ Duggen . I had the same and halved my water bill by getting a meter fitted.
    2 flats on a shared meter with an agreement that the bill is split 50 /50 . However , for your flat you need to find the riser and see if a meter can be put in there.

FOG

I have just hads the ‘increase DD by £70’ letter but I know exactly why.
    My son and his girlfriend moved in while they covert an old building to live in. They have been here 8mths, progress on house – zero, progress on drinking, hen and stag nights, Glasto booking,general frivolity – infinite! I am beginning to suspect I am merely enabling them to extend their teenage years well into their thirties.
    The bills have gone through the roof because they seem to have endless showers every day and wash every garment they own at least three times a week. Aaaaargh!!!

unovolo
    Free Member

I’d bin nPower off if for no other reason than I dont like the monopoly that the big 6 have on the energy market.

There are a few other smaller outfits that can provide your energy such as Ebico or OVO(who I’m with).

sc-xc

In typical STW fashion, I have read the first and last post.

I was with NPower – did exactly the same to me. Total sharks.

I moved to OVO and they have been brilliant – they communicate with you properly.

When I walk past the tossbags hawking Npower tariffs in the town, I have to stop myself from clubbing them to death.

jd-boy
    Free Member

b r – Member
    dont pay anything on direct debit apart from morgage and some house insurances. everything else gets paid when the bill comes through the door, that way I control them and MY money not the other way round,

But you’ll be paying the highest rate, far better/cheaper to just sign-up for an online DD deal and read your own meter whenever an estimated bill comes in.

And we moved from the SE to Scotland last year, I reckon a constant air temp 5c lower now – consequently its far more likely we’ll have our heating on now as once you get below 15c you want the heating on, even if just the fire.

Not strickley true I used to pay DD years ago and got ripped off, after we went through the system of claiming back what we over paid that could have been in My bank its really not worth the little amount you save being on DD. 🙄

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Gas/Electric bill came today!’ is closed to new replies.