Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Gas leak from France hits our shores
  • grantway
    Free Member

Just how big a leak will it have to be to reach near London

Gas Leak From France

scaredypants

WHen I was at uni, there was a story of a postgrad student in our department who was working with mercaptans.

He chucked some waste down a sink and about half an hour later they evacuated the university library next door (at the time it was supposedly the biggest library in UK, maybe europe 😆

(no idea if it’s true though 😳 )

bearnecessities

the local police department confirmed a stench like “sweat, garlic and rotten eggs”.

I love the continental imagination in that statement.

Quite literally, chapeau!

johndoh
    Free Member

But it is only an additive to make gas smell of gas…

Mercaptan is a colourless additive used in natural gas because its acrid smell enables gas leaks to be detected. It is non-toxic but can be flammable in high concentrations.

CountZero

Well, oddly enough, earlier today I had to go across to our other unit, and as I went outside I thought, ‘is that a gas leak?’ I’m in Chippenham, North Wilts, 100 miles from London!

nedrapier

It’s insanely powerful stuff. I went found thefactory of the UK manufacturer and they were telling us about the affected radius if they split an egg-cup of the stuff. Cant remember the figures, but it was gobsmacking, and a little unbelievable. I’d like to know how much escaped here.

nedrapier

dp

falkirk-mark

A cupful of mercaptan (stench as it is commonly known) could evacuate a medium sized town. it is the chemical that is put into gas to give it its gas smell.

Taff
    Free Member

Smelt it in Portsmouth at lunchtime. I thought it smelt like engine oil

martinhutch

I fart in your general direction…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Taff – Member

Smelt it in Portsmouth at lunchtime. I thought it smelt like engine oil
    So Pompey smells better than usual then?

TooTall
    Free Member

Got wafts of it across Bristol yesterday. Faint, but when you’ve worked with large quantities of fuel before, any whiff of potential leak can be detected!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Gas leak from France hits our shores’ is closed to new replies.