Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gas hob in kitchen burning with yellow flame
  • mugsys_m8

Hello,

Just fitted a new Ikea kitchen. The gas hob is burning with a blue at base yellow at top flame. We use bottled gas as do many other people in France: the bottle feeds just the hob and no other appliances and is inside the house: no fancy installation.

I have used the same gas bottle and regualtor from our old cooker which burnt fine and fitted a new hose. Obviously the air/gas mixture is not right but is this likely to be a regualtor or jets issue? I’m leaning towards jets: it’s likely the hob is jetted for mains gas and the regualator will be specific for the type of bottled gas (which has proved itself to be the correct one by working fine on the old cooker. Right?) OR is there likely to be some other means of adjustment?

scotroutes

I’ve had gas hobs supplied with both sets of jets so that sounds likely.

wwaswas

Do they not have regs about ‘competent’ people fitting gas appliances in France?

My guess is the jets but I’m by no means competent.

Stoner
    Free Member
    mugsys_m8

I think I have discovered that the IKEA hobs are only supplied with jets for propane/ piped natural gas.

So it looks like changing the jets is the way onwards. The hob allows for the power to be adjusted but not the burn mixture.

As for rules..well yes there are probably rules, but France being France nods their head and then goes and does what they want. I think i can handle this, after all it’s only a glorified cooking stove with an infinite supply of bottled fuel. I change the jets on my multi-stove msr stove. Not sure insurance companies work like those in the UK either in case of a fire.

I deem myself competent to service my bicylces that I ride down steep alpine passes…and my childrens. I’ve also re-wired said kitchen without getting it signed off. Vive la france!

tillydog
    Free Member

What does the rating plate on the hob say? (i.e gas type and pressure). Did the hob come with an alternative set of jets?

There is a good chance that the jets for propane and butane will be the same (but the pressures will be different) – should be detailed in the manual.

j4mie
    Free Member

You could of course die from carbon monoxide poisoning?

totalshell

with the wrong jets you normally have a problem with the burner staying alight at all not especially yellow flames.. gas safety week here in Blighty this week..

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It could just be the paint burning off.

Sorry to say though, if you don’t know the answer to the question you shouldn’t fit a gas burning device, the consequences are to likely and too dangerous!

mugsys_m8

Thanks all. Jets changed and all is good.The jets for butane and propane are indeed the same for this stove, and jets for natural gas were fitted as standard.

I was skeptical about this idea of gas bottles in houses fueling cookers and doing it all yourself about 7 years ago when we first came here, but that really is just what is done here.

globalti
    Free Member

Didn’t Britain go through all this back in the seventies?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gas hob in kitchen burning with yellow flame’ is closed to new replies.