Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Gas flues – speak forth your wisdom
  • iDave
    Free Member

Last winter, first cold day resulted in my carrying burning log basket out of house wearing oven gloves as entire house filled with smoke.

Turned out previous owners had used a gas flue to top the chimney, but had a log basket in the fireplace for looks.

I want a log fire to compliment my impending terrier ownership.

Chimney sweep wanted £150 to replace the flue as it was cemented in place. Could bloke on ladder just adapt/hack a few holes in the gas flue?

Please say yes or no with basic explanation.

geoffj

When you say flue, I assume you mean cap / bit on the top?

iDave
    Free Member

yeah, the lid/cap thingy, he called it a flue

Trekster

First thing to do is check whether you are in a smokeless zone or not 🙄

There are many types of chimney pot, depends on weather, updraught and stuff like that, go to a local builders merchant for advice.

You may need to get your chimney/fireplace re-lined if it has not been used for years, may be the reason your house filled up with smoke = loose/missing mortar ===== Biggest cause of house fires, people openingup old fireplaces/chimneys 👿

Please say yes or no with basic explanation.

I am no expert, just depends on how much you value your house/life etc 😈

An example;
    Yrs ago whilst playing squash in an old converted church with adjoining houses we had to stop due to the court/building filling up with smoke. We could not find any signs of fire except for the neighbours chimney having gone on fire and smoke leakeing through walls into adjoping property, the squash court

bruneep

This?

Or

This?

or

This?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

my impending terrier ownership.

Nothing to add except…me too 🙂 !!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Gas flues – speak forth your wisdom’ is closed to new replies.