Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Gas Fire – Replacement and Costs to Fit
  • jlc
    Free Member

Looking at buying a house and it appears that the Gas Fire has been disconnected or shut off. We don’t like the existing gas fire so want to replace it with a new one. Just wondered what are the likley costs to connect a new fire.

stevextc
    Free Member

Depends if its still all connected (gas pipes) . and if the original installation had adequate diameter pipes and you didn’t add other stuff like gas bobs or boiler after so the original pipes are no longer adequate.

If you have to pull up the floor then costs will depend on the type of floor.. i.e. if it runs through the kitchen and the kitchen is tiled…

We had to re-do all the gas pipes except to the fire as that was on the end as they were inadequate to feed the hob + boiler + fire but we had the floor up anyway and the cost was less than I expected… (I can’t remember exactly but it was £300 or so?)

On the other hand we couldn’t touch the pipes for the actual fire as it’s not possible due to it being flueless and would need a permanent hole in the wall (one that can’t be closed) to meet regs….

Another thing to beware is if there is a back boiler still in a chimney breast… often gas fires are taken out but the boiler left in as it can mean knocking out a lot of the chimney to get it out…

stevextc
    Free Member

You can ask directly if its disconnected or switched off….
    We got told disconnected but it turned out is was just turned off because it was not meeting GasSafe regs due to lack of a big hole in the wall
    We paid for a structural survey but the idiot listed it as electric… I’d thought he was wrong but then I thought .. well its his job…

You can also see the size of the pipe (if you go to wickes etc. you can see the common sizes 15mm and 22mm) so you should be able to recognise which it is and you can guess mostly the path from the meter .. (does it go via a cooker/boiler or is the cooker boiler AFTER it)

From my house experience boiler + cooker + fire needed 22mmm but the extension fire from the 22mm only needed 15mm (or could have been smaller but these are the most common standard sizes)

You can also ask directly if the chimney flue is still in place…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    prawny

We’ve just taken our gas fire out and are in the process of putting an electric one in. The cost of maintaining a gas fire isn’t worth it for the amount we use it. Plus we can leave the electric fire on when the kids are alone in the sitting room and it blows cold 8)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Gas Fire – Replacement and Costs to Fit’ is closed to new replies.