Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gas cartridges that don't react with sealant
  • ratherbeintobago

Do such things exist?

alexpalacefan

I think some sealants claim to be CO2 safe.

APF

deadkenny
    Free Member

CO2 in first to seat, remove valve core (or pop bit of the bead), fill with sealant, pump with track pump.

Or get the knack of soapy water and a track pump, no CO2 😉

ratherbeintobago

It’s more putting the tyre back up on the trail, as I’ve seated tyres with soapy water and a track pump fine.

You can get argon cartridges but that seems overkill.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve done CO2 trail side with sealant in no worries. I don’t think the CO2 thing is all that much of an issue, it’s just if you can avoid it when setting it up with a load of fresh liquid then it’s worth it. It might react a bit after a trail side fix, but done it before and still hear sloshing liquid after.

greyspoke
    Free Member

There would still be water sloshing around, but the latex in it will have polymerised out.

jamesoz

Nitrogen?

ratherbeintobago

I see you can get N2 cartridges. I wonder if there’s enough in them to inflate a tyre?

jonnyboi

If you have to use co2 on the trail then use it in the vertical position, then maybe release some pressure and top up with a pump

jamesoz

ratherbeintobago – Member
    I see you can get N2 cartridges. I wonder if there’s enough in them to inflate a tyre?

One cartridge also seems to cost as much as a bottle of sealant. Or a box of CO2 cartridges.
    I have access to lots of nitrogen cylinders of varying sizes but none that I’d want to carry on a bike.

FWIW I’ve used CO2 on the trail and when I swapped the tyre the next week the Stans looked fine, doesn’t seem worth the cost or effort to find an alternative gas cartridge.

daern
    Free Member

If you have to use co2 on the trail then use it in the vertical position, then maybe release some pressure and top up with a pump

Part of the reason I carry CO2 is so I don’t need to carry a pump as well, so this one wouldn’t be a winner for me.

I’ve also experienced a reduction in the effectiveness of my Stans fluid after using CO2 and have now taken to either topping it up, or just removing the tyre and starting again after I’ve had to use CO2 on the trail. It’s pretty rare for me (1-2 times per year) so I don’t mind this.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I see you can get N2 cartridges.

#becauseracecar

mintimperial

I assumed that it was just the blast of cold gas that screwed the sealant by freezing it, so N2/Ar wouldn’t make any difference?

I’d be pretty surprised if it was actually a chemical reaction with the CO2, the sealant isn’t exactly super-reactive, and CO2 is pretty inert, we use it to put fires out after all. Any sealant that claims to work with CO2 probably just has extra glycol in it to act as antifreeze or something like that. (Happy to be corrected by anyone with access to more than 20 year old memories of A-level chemistry, though!)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gas cartridges that don't react with sealant’ is closed to new replies.