• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Hoff.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • gas camping stove + general cooking-while-camping advice?
  • rogg
    Free Member

I’m taking the kids camping mid-August for a few days. Trouble is, this is the first time I will be camping somewhere that doesn’t have a cafe within 5 mins walk, so will need to do some cooking for at least some of the meals. I’m thinking about taking disposable barbecues for the evening, plus a gas stove as a back up (and for coffee in the morning, to do the beans while the meat’s on the barbie etc).
    Can anyone recommend a dual burner gas stove, or at least a good brand? Seems like there’s lots of choice out there – do I need a grill? I guess I’ll also need a regulator, hose and gas bottle. Do I need a proper stand, or is a folding table ok (how hot do they get underneath?)?
    Any advice gratefully received…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Generally think you can’t go wrong with Coleman for combination of value and quality.

Some of them come with an aerosol type thing so that the gas can sits inside the stove. I don’t think you need regulator and hose a la gas barbecue type thing.

EDIT: Something like this, £50 from ShagOffOutdoors

qwerty
    Free Member

http://www.obelink.co.uk/camping-accessories/cookers.html

we have the camping gaz one, the grill is a waste of time, its well naff

remember, remember carbon monoxide kills

wwaswas

if you have kids make sure there’s an area you cook in outside of the tent that they know not to go near.

On the ground is easiest and less distance for stuff to fall/get knocked over.

Any of the Campinggaz two burner things is fine don’t worry about a grill lunless you *really* like toast.

Do make sure you have a decent windbreak around it if it’s at all blowy.

oh, and never, ever, ever cook in a tent with anyone asleep in it even if you have the door open. and leave the bbq outside even if you think it’s out.

been several cooking related deaths in tents in recent years 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Second not cooking inside the tent!!!!!!!

CampingGaz stuff is also decent. 🙂

trb
    Free Member

I’d head to Go outdoors to see what they’ve got. But the Camping Gaz bottles are stupidly expensive. circa £50 for the deposit on the bottle + £20 to fill it.

Unless your investing for the longterm you might be better buying a couple of cheaper single ring stoves that use disposable bottles

The grills are generally only useful for cooking 1 piece of toast at a time,
    I sometimes use just a normal table, they don’t get that hot underneath. bigger risk is the kids knocking them over, hence I’ve invested in a separate utility tent that I use as a kitchen.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

hence I’ve invested in a separate utility tent that I use as a kitchen.

Ooooh, get you Mr. Pamper Glamper 😀

gusamc
    Free Member

I use a Camping gas double with grill via/reg/bottle – but am a car camper mainly now.

Take a spare portable BBQ – as they don’t all work.

You could introduce your children to the joys of my youth – tins of London Grill or HP Beans and sausages with buttered bread – yumm, however planning a menu where everything goes in the same number of pots as you have rings is quite sensible (or one pot and kettle for brekkie)

Points about cooking outside tent well made, and I’m sure you won’t be changing cylinders etc inside either.

Gunz
    Free Member

We’ve always stuck with one ring as it does everything ie:
    – Fry up for everyone in the morning with bread instead of toast (those grills are rubbish). Alternative, cereal.
    – Pasta or some such for lunch all in one pan.
    – Burgers/hot dogs for dinner, either in a frying pan or Disposable BBQ, with a load of salad.

All this done on a single ring powered by one of those screw on cannisters (not the aerosol ones sitting in the stove as they empty amazingly quickly). Normally does us for a weekend and takes up a lot less space in the boot.

flatfish
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

My camping gaz 2 ring and grill i unherrited from the parents bought during the 80s works great , grills probably crap on new ones mind but its always a thing of envy when i start cooking at team 24s. Great thing !

Getting hard to find stockests of camping gaz refills though if you dint frequent campsites 🙁

Steelsreal

I have one of these;

Party grill, has a BBQ type top and a traditional pot stand, when in BBQ mode fill the bowl with water and keeps everything clean, uses the disposable bottlys, stable on its feet on the floor or a table..

about £45 i think from amazon

http://goo.gl/lGlOn

robh

Got one of these

Campingaz Camp Chef.
    No chance you’ll get toast looking anything like that out of it though. Think Blacks were doing a cooker regulator bottle bundle recently.

GoOutdoors also do the same one with a built in stand.

Agree on cost and availability of bottles though, got a dead cheap empty spare from EBAY though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Robh mines looks like that only the trim is black

Secret to good toast is to let the grill warm up for 5/10 minutes and also to keep it as low as possible.

robh

TR do you find it wide enough for 2 pieces at the same time without turning them round?

rogg
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, SingleTrackWorldypedia saves the day again.

smg13
    Free Member

Portable BBQ like steelsreal thats what I use as well perfect!!!!
    Ditto with never cook inside tent and never leave disposable BBQ anywhere near your tent douse with water and remove as they still give off toxic fumes even when out!!!!!!
    Enjoy your camping!!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

No rob . 1 piece at a time other wise it only cooks. Half of each bit 😉

Hoff

I have a Cadac Carri Chef Deluxe. Gas BBQ with interchangeable top so you can cook pretty much anything from a fry up to paella

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadac-8150-CADAC-Carri-Deluxe/dp/B000NBBMTO

All comes apart & packs into the supplied carry bags….

They do smaller versions too

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘gas camping stove + general cooking-while-camping advice?’ is closed to new replies.