Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Gas bottle refills – where?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Bloody BBQ gas ran out tonight – before even cooked any food 😳
    I have a 15ltr blue Calor butane bottle that needs a refill…one place any better than anywhere else?
    Go Outdoors do a refill for £32…must cost a bloody fortune if you didn’t have a bottle to exchange!

Junkyard
    Free Member

iirc calor is just a standard price so its the same everywhere

Caravan/camping place or a local garage /whatever is closest

phiiiiil

The calor website has stockists on; lots of garages do them. If it’s a slightly unusual kind of bottle give them a ring first… we use little green ones and it sometimes takes a few tries to find somewhere local with some in!

https://www.calor.co.uk/find-a-stockist

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thats what you get for having a gas barby. With a proper charcoal one you know how much fuel you have left. 😆

rascal
    Free Member

Congrats esselGF – I knew at some point charcoal would get a mention ie ‘proper’ BBQ 😉 – you are indeed the first!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Oh… you mean an outside hob…

😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Congrats esselGF – I knew at some point charcoal would get a mention ie ‘proper’ BBQ – you are indeed the first!

HaHaHa! says me who usually uses gas. But is dead clever & has a charcy one on standby, in case the gas runs out. 8)

maccruiskeen

The trick with bottled gas is having two bottles.

Another trick – weigh them when they’re new and when one runs out weigh it empty, keep a note of that and in future you’ve got a way of checking if the bottle is likely to run out soon.

mcj78
    Free Member

Another top tip – go round to the local tip & take one of the old crusty bottles they’re dying to get shot of as they clutter the place up – any size, any shape, any type – as long as it says Calor on it, then take it to Calor supplier & only pay the refill price – saves you having to stump up & actually “buy” a bottle, they just exchange it for a nice shiny new one, they don’t actually refill the old one for you.

HTH 8)

nbt

Except when the local tip don’t let you take anything away due to H&S rules, as happens at my local. If anyone has a spare 6kg propane bottle I’d appreciate it

My dad has an adapter so he fills gas bottles for us at the LPG pump at the local petrol station – autogas is about 50p a litre so a bottle cost a couple of quid to refill. The adapter costs a bit and calor don’t like you using them

wwaswas

calor don’t like you using them

I can imagine the local pterol station might look askance at some bodged Calor bottle being refilled on their forecourt too?

Gary_M
    Free Member

iirc calor is just a standard price so its the same everywhere

I’ve found Morrisons petrol station the cheapest place for 6kg propane bottles.

mcj78
    Free Member

nbt
    Except when the local tip don’t let you take anything away due to H&S rules, as happens at my local.

Ah right, couple i’ve asked in the past are only to glad to get shot of them – they can’t scrap them & have to arrange for them to be sent back to Calor, so when it gets to this time of year & people are clearing out the shed, the cage ends up overflowing with old crusty bottles – it’s health & safety gone mad I tell you…

nwmlarge
    Free Member

nearest garage surely?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I can imagine the local pterol station might look askance at some bodged Calor bottle being refilled on their forecourt too?”

No reputable petrol station will let you do this.

many wont even let you fill up a gaslow refillable if its inside a locker – only prescribed filler points fixed into side of vehicle.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Trail Rat, You just exchange them, whatever size.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You don’t fill the gas bottles up at a petrol station, you just swap the empty bottle for a full one. One that’s been filled at a calor place.

You don’t walk up to a pump and fill yuur empty bottle 🙂

phiiiiil

You get the assistant to abandon their post in the shop to come outside and faff around with the locker and gas bottles, really annoying anyone waiting to fill up their car or pay for anything, but probably letting any passing shoplifters have a field day…

Gary_M
    Free Member

You get the assistant to abandon their post in the shop to come outside and faff around with the locker and gas bottles

They never have only one person working in the pfs near me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

as much as i may act it im not a complete super moron 😀 i have swapped a gas bottle before although i generally use J gas and go to their depot as its a known price and i know they will have stock. – with calor its a mare , currently trying to find a calor lite cylinder in stock …. i know they still exist after the recall but everywhere i phone says no stock.

i was talking about the adaptor things so folk can fill up cylinders that dont have gauges with an LPG pump mentioned above. stupid things.

rascal
    Free Member

Found a place just round the corner from where I work…£36 for a refill.
    £76 if you buy the bottle too – WTF?! 😯
    Glad I have an empty to swap 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

ouch . i pay less than that for argon/co2

its 23 quid for a 13kg of butane where i live.

anyone in Aberdeen area wants to get rid of a regular propane cylinder lemme know. looking for a 6kg one.

nbt

Worth remembering that if you’re trading your bottle for a full one, you can take in any size and swap it for a different size.

takisawa2

If your anywhere near Cannock there’s a place that refills propane bottles. Don’t think I’ve ever paid more than £8-10 for my 6kg caravan one.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Talking of getting rid of bottles…..When I were a lad had a petrol station & I also sold gas, can’t remember who’s but it wasn’t Calor, but I’d take any bottle & swap it for one of mine. My supplier wasn’t bothered about picking any empties up that weren’t theirs so i ended up with loads of different empty bottles (I’m talking early 90’s here) so when the bin wagon came round I’d bung the lads a couple of £’s each & hey presto!
    Can you imagine that now? 😯

Mind you, the noise was incredible as the compactor in the lorry attempted vainly to squish the bottles. 😆

superfli
    Free Member

How long does your bottle last? 2 years? Thats £18/year. Not a lot really. Wonder how much charcoal costs for 2 years?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Gas bottle refills – where?’ is closed to new replies.