• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by AD.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Gas BBQs – are they all equal?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Currently use an inherited cheapo Homebase special and it seems fine, but (as we like to cook outside lots) I was wondering if ‘investing’ in an all-singing all-dancing one would be worthwhile.

And no, I really don’t want a charcoal one. Honestly.

bearnecessities

[Stw] You want a charcoal one [/Stw]

nemesis
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear too. We have a B&Q one which was cheap at the end of summer one year which works fine but I do find it doesn’t get hot enough to really sear steaks and the like (compared to my gas hob). Other than that though, I find it works well.

sharkbait
    Free Member

All BBQ’s are basically the same but heat distribution, griddle material (you want cast iron), build quality, etc all vary. Look at the Weber Q series…. we have two and they’re very good. We also have an Outback type thing which is fine but the whole thing is too big really. Some of it is also starting to fail due to rust – which is not an issue you get with a Weber.

Edit: Actually they’re not all the same are they 😳

toby1

You mean outdoor gas grills then? BBQ would have charcoal on it.

I bought a Homebase special and the lid handle has rotted through heat, so no, not all made equal as you’d not see that happen with a Weber!

stumpy01

Bro-In-Law has just bought a fancy pants Weber gas BBQ. They are expensive, but this thing really looks like it will last years and years of regular use. Some of the cheap ones look like after one summer they will be falling apart with broken handles etc. (as above).

Same as anything really; you could just as well be asking whether a £200 Apollo mountain bike from Halfords is the same as an £800 Boardman bike from Halfords…

johndoh
    Free Member

You mean outdoor gas grills then? BBQ would have charcoal on it.

Yes, sorry I mean an outdoor gas grill. How remiss of me. Do accept my apologies.

johndoh
    Free Member

Sorry, I should have added, I mean in the cooking quality stakes – I can store it indoors so it shouldn’t get too rusty or anything.

So, are they better at cooking evenly and well than a cheap one? Do the fancy cast iron grills have much effect etc etc?

leffeboy

Iron grill rocks. The gas is just a ring so most of the heat is transferred through the cast iron

Temperature indicator is also great if you are trying to do a really large lump of beast over a long time

Got a Weber and it lives outside as the real benefit of gas is you just go out, switch it on and in 5-10 mins you’re ready to go. Ours gets used all the time

toby1

😉 I’m a pedantic fool when it comes to cooking with fire.

I had a family friend own a Weber gas for 15 years (if not a little longer) he cleaned it up and sold it for the same as he bought it for, IMO they are well worth spending a bit extra on. At his 70th I cooked for about 40 people on it and it performed excellently and more importantly cooked evenly throughout.

ransos
    Free Member

Currently use an inherited cheapo Homebase special and it seems fine, but (as we like to cook outside lots) I was wondering if ‘investing’ in an all-singing all-dancing one would be worthwhile.

And no, I really don’t want a charcoal one. Honestly.

1. Turn on the grill in your oven.
    2. Cook your food.
    3. Take your food outside.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yup cook it in the oven, you might as well.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yup cook it in the oven, you might as well.

What if you’re not at/near your house?

[pedant]

You mean outdoor gas grills then?

Actually you mean a gas griddle as a grill has the heat coming from above the food 😉
    [/pedant]

joshvegas
    Free Member

[pedant]doesn’t matter where the heat comes from, its the ‘grill’ the food sits on that gives it its name.

Griddles don’t have any holes they are either flat or ridged[/pedant]

bigad40
    Free Member

Cook on any heat source you as long as you rest the steak before cutting it up.

johndoh
    Free Member

1. Turn on the grill in your oven.
    2. Cook your food.
    3. Take your food outside.

Jesus that’s funny, no, it really is. Until now I had heard no-one, not ever, say exactly that.

SludgeJudge

Definitely recommend a Weber Gas BBQ. Ours is 8 years old and needed some replacement parts. Contacted Weber and they sent all the parts free of charge within 48 hours – all covered by a 25 year warranty! Fantastic service and a great BBQ.

AD

I’ve got a cheap B and Q one that does the job. I don’t doubt the Weber one is better but since I only use it once a week-ish I didn’t want to spend money that could be better used purchasing shiny bits for bikes…

In fairness I only cook burgers and sausages on it whilst drinking beer in the sun – so you may have different needs/aspirations 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Gas BBQs – are they all equal?’ is closed to new replies.