• This topic has 21 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Ro5ey.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Gary Imlach; what does he do for the rest of the year
  • danradyr1
    Free Member

Ever since Greg Lemond’s 8 seconds to victory I have been an avid follower of the the Tour and the highlights programme. I cannot remember one without Gary Imlach (though I did miss a couple of years’ coverage when I was ‘really cool’). He is such a fantastic presenter I’m surprised he doesn’t do more/any other mainstream programmes.

So my question is; what does he do for the rest of the year? I have never seen or heard of him outside the Tour coverage. Surely that’s wasted talent or does he have so much money that he doesn’t need to work and just does the Tour coverage for the love of cycling!?

jimdubleyou

He does (or did) NFL on channel 4. But that was when I used to watch it.

Edric64
    Free Member

Used to do American Fotball I think ?

fingerbang
    Free Member

good question. I’ve wondered this too as im a big fan of Imlach. super slick and funny. I lol’d at his link this year when describing the collapsed inflatable that brought down Yates.

good to see he survived the purge that surely befell Liggett and Sherwen? although they’re probably still coining it on the US coverage.

Garry_Lager

I’m not sure what he does – he did write a very good (award-winning) book called ‘My father and other working class football heroes’ but doesn’t appear to have written anything since that? Clearly a very talented bloke.

donald
    Free Member

+1 on his book. It’s a good read.

MoreCashThanDash

Writer – think he has ghost written and edited a couple of sports biographies. Would love to see more of him on TV though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Another member of the Gary Imlach fan club here.

Can’t believe ITV4 pay so well that he sits around lighting cigars with £50 notes the rest of the year.

njee20
    Free Member

good to see he survived the purge that surely befell Liggett and Sherwen? although they’re probably still coining it on the US coverage.

ITV bought in Phil/Paul’s commentary anyway, they have a very capable duo in Boulting and Millar, so why pay for Ligget and Sherwen?

Also an Imlach fan, but unless he reported on F1 I wouldn’t see him on any other sports TV anyway. 😳

PePPeR

I like him a lot too, but I can’t hear Boulting and Millar unless the TV is turned upto 11.

maccruiskeen

ITV bought in Phil/Paul’s commentary anyway

I think it was more that they couldn’t get the TDF live coverage without Phil/Paul – the deal for the pictures came with their commentary, so they weren’t part of the team really. P&P are part of an american coverage deal that ITV had to sort of piggyback on – thats why they kept referring to roundabouts as ‘traffic circles’.

johnnystorm

Watched a bit of the Tour last week in the States and had a bit of a throwback Thursday when I heard Phil’s commentary. Bob Roll was pretty good though.

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

I spoke to him recently and asked the very same question. He told me that as his forehead gets bigger with each passing year, washing his face is literally a full time job. He’s not sure how much longer he’ll be able to carry on presenting…

maccruiskeen

Can’t believe ITV4 pay so well that he sits around lighting cigars with £50 notes the rest of the year.

Its a lot of presenting work packed into a very short time – 2 programmes a day for 3 weeks – thats pretty much a years worth of work for any other presenter on a one-slot-a-week basis.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bob Roll was pretty good though.

BOBKE FTW!

He rode with Jonny T, you know.

Oh, and he was ahead of the curve in so many ways….

Full sus, peak on the helmet.

He got dirty in l’enfer du nord.

And, finally, HIPSTER!

BigJohn

You do realise ITV is just showing a box set if the tour? Condensing a 26 week season into 3 weeks. You don’t seriously think anybody could ride a bike that far 2 days in a row?
    How else can you explain the bad weather they had in the early stages. Snow in France in July?

honourablegeorge

He writes – he wrote a really lovely book, link below, highly recommended.

slowoldman

I would love to think they do. He is worth it.

hammerite
    Free Member

I read one of the Ned Boulting books and he says that Gary Imlach is the ultimate professional and a master at work.

nbt

I know he edited Chris Boardman’s autobiography that just came out. Excellent book.

IHN

Me’n’her were having this conversation. He’s such a good presenter, dare I say broadcaster, that we’re amazed he’s not on telly more presenting loads of sports stuff a la John Inverdale/Clare Boulting

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Yep, he’s good as is Boulting …. another great piece by Ned in the Metro this morning…. about the further success of British cycling at the tour, but how it’s not all the product of SKY/Dave B.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Gary Imlach; what does he do for the rest of the year’ is closed to new replies.